[NFBV-Announce] Black History Month

jackibruce6 at gmail.com jackibruce6 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 23:40:41 UTC 2021

Hey NFB Family and Friends,

Black History Month continues with another member of the Black Empowerment
Committee.  Read on and enjoy!

Day 9 of Black History Month

I would like to start my first day by highlighting one of our own. Freddie
Peaco, who worked at the Library of Congress, National Library Service (NLS)
for 42 years. She went completely blind from glaucoma at the age of 13 but
was determined not to let her blindness hold her back. She helped establish
the Metropolitan Washington Ear which brought printed news and magazines to
the Washington, Maryland and Northern Virginia blind and vision impaired
audience much like our own Virginia Voice.

She was born in the 1940 in North Carolina and once a visual impairment was
discovered at an early age she attended The Governor Moorehead School for
the Blind in Raleigh. She attended Howard University where she obtained her
Bachelor's Degree and received her Masters from American University.

She was very adamant that African American history should be made accessible
to any and all who had a desire to access it. She was instrumental in
establishing the Described and Captioned Media Program which is the largest
free loan library of described educational media. In her own words, "This is
the kind of accessible information that will inspire student's confidence,
enhance their self esteem and improve their attitude.

She retired from the Library of Congress in 2009 and while she was there,
along with her guide dog, Zelda, she was involve in numerous organizations.
Some of them are: the Association for Education and Rehabilitation of the
Blind and Visually Impaired, (AER) National Braille Association, (NBA) and
the Board of Directors, Lighthouse Inc.

Submitted by Earl Everet

Peace,

Jacki Bruce

 <mailto:jackibruce6 at gmail.com> mailto:jackibruce6 at gmail.com
 <tel:(757)291-1789> tel:(757)291-1789
 <http://www.nfb.org/> www.nfb.org
 <http://www.nfbv.org/> www.nfbv.org

together to help blind people live the lives they want