[NFBV-Announce] General Assembly News

jackibruce6 at gmail.com jackibruce6 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 13 20:59:02 UTC 2021

Hey NFB Family and Friends,

Please read on for week two of the General Assembly News provided by our
own, Stewart Prost.

Greetings Federation Family,

The Virginia General Assembly is now in Special Session.  Here is the latest
information on the status of all our bills:

* Priority #1-Accessible Absentee Voting

o HB-1888-Patron VanValkenburg-passed the House of Delegates-referred to
Senate Committee on Privileges and Elections-

o SB1331-Patron Reaves-Passed Senate-Referred to the House Privileges and
Elections Committee-assigned to sub-committee on Administration.

* Priority #2:  Streamlining the Hiring Processes for Persons With
Disabilities in State Employment

o HB 2140-Patron Guzman-Passed the House-Referred to Senate General Laws and
Technology-Reported out of Senate General Laws and Technology-constitutional
reading has been dispensed.

* Priority #3-Add Disability to Virginia Human Rights Act

o HB 1848-Patron Sickes-Passed the House and referred to the Senate General
Laws and Technology- Reported out of Senate General Laws and
Technology-constitutional reading has been dispensed.

* Priority #4-Making crosswalks Safer for Drivers and Blind Pedestrians

o HB 1841-Patron Keam-Passed House with substitution studying the
issue-referred to Senate Transportation Committee.

I will keep everyone informed of the progress of our legislative  agenda.

Regards,

Stewart Prost

Peace,

Jacki Bruce

 <mailto:jackibruce6 at gmail.com> mailto:jackibruce6 at gmail.com
 <tel:(757)291-1789> tel:(757)291-1789
 <http://www.nfb.org/> www.nfb.org
 <http://www.nfbv.org/> www.nfbv.org

together to help blind people live the lives they want