[NFBV-Announce] Text of poems from May 1st Board Meeting

jackibruce6 at gmail.com jackibruce6 at gmail.com
Sun May 9 04:24:05 UTC 2021

Hey NFB Family and Friends,

Please read below the text of the poems recited at our May 1st Board
Meeting.

>From Tracy Soforenko, President, National Federation of the Blind of
Virginia

To celebrate the diversity of our members, we encourage different voices,
faiths, and perspectives to share an invocation at our meetings. At our May
1 meeting, Natasha Hubbard recited  2 original poems that she is sharing
with our members. Please see below.

>From Natasha Hubbard

butterfly.m.enterprises at gmail.com <mailto:butterfly.m.enterprises at gmail.com>

As requested at the May 1, 2021  NFB of Virginia Board of Directors meeting,
I have provided the text of my poems presented during the invocation .

Please note, I write under the pen name of Butterfly Thomas:

Here is the text of the poems "May Day" and "No Vision Part 2".

If you are interested in more information or to purchase some of my
published work, please email me at the address provided above.

May Day

One day in May, a man was killed unjustly

Two Years prior, his mother died, but he called for her anyway

Three blinks is all it took for

Four officers to act as judge, jury and executioner

Five children grieve for their father

Six years old the youngest, traumatized

Seven weeks of protests to scream our anger, frustration. our pain because
it only took

Eight minutes to extinguish another black life, and then you walked away

unscathed.

Just another day.

In May

Peace,

Butterfly

You can find this poem and others in the book entitled The Butterfly Effect
a Poetic Call to Action in print or E-book

No Vision (part 2)

I resent low expectations spurred by misconceptions

You may not know my capabilities, but spare me the half-hearted suggestions

I recommend you read up and gather more information

Before you prejudge, back up the claims you're making

Please realize that everyone is different, that's true

But, does difference mean inability to you?

You'd react adversely if your qualifications were dismissed

Yet from us you expect docile acceptance

I represent many and have thousands behind me

That are ready to go to the wall if you deny me

I'll remind you of the law before you make your decision

I hope it's clear which one of us has no vision

I reclaim my independence, my integrity, my dignity

I am me, not defined by disability

Peace,

Butterfly

You can find Part 1 of this poem and other observations in the book entitled
In My Feelings. s

Peace,

Jacki Bruce

 <mailto:jackibruce6 at gmail.com> mailto:jackibruce6 at gmail.com
 <tel:(757)291-1789> tel:(757)291-1789
 <http://www.nfb.org/> www.nfb.org
 <http://www.nfbv.org/> www.nfbv.org

together to help blind people live the lives they want