[NFBV-Announce] What's happening and zoom

jackibruce6 at gmail.com jackibruce6 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 20:09:03 UTC 2022

Hey NFB Family and friends,

It’s here, it’s here! Please visit NFBV.org/convention and register for this
year’s fantabuluss State Convention. There’s something for everyone from
accessible escape rooms and self defense moves to Latin food and dance.
Programming for Seniors, programming for students, programming for working
age adults AND getting together with friends after two years of virtual what
more can you ask for?!  REGISTER NOW!

Kudos Corner

The Chesapeake Bay, Greater Williamsburg, Peninsula and Tidewater Chapters
are kicking off BEAM(BLINDNESS EQUALITY AND ACHIEVEMENT MONTH) WITH A POT
LUCK PICNIC AT Deer Park in Newport News on Saturday, October 1st from 11 AM
– 3:30 PM. Please contact Jacki Bruce for more information and to sign up.
Join in for food, fun and fellowship with members of your NFBV Family.

Dear Members,

As a part of our Blind Equality Achievement Month, the Virginia Association
of Blind Students is hosting "Bowl with the Blind".

This is both a fundraising and social event. We are requesting that you
donate an item (i.e. shirt, hat, new cane) and/or gift card ($25 or more) to
raffle off at the event.

If you are willing to donate, let me know what you are donating by Friday,
Sept 2nd at 4:30pm so the corresponding secretary has time to put it in the
Sunday announcements.

All gift cards and/or items to be raffled off MUST be received to me no
later than October 6th.

Andre' Hill

c/o: Bowl with the Blind

133 Thalia Trace Drive

Virginia Beach, Virginia 23452

Thank you in advance.

André E. Hill

The Winchester Chapter is moving and shaking things up.

On Tuesday, August 23 president Chris Walker spoke with the Stephen City
Lions Club. He shared his journey and talked about the National Federation
Of The Blind. Check out the video.

On September 24 the chapter will be participating with Access Independence.
We will have a informational Table and giving demonstrations. Access
Independence helps people with wheelchairs, also teaches American Sign
Language. This will be the second year that we are working within our
community to Bring outreach to the community. The address to Access
Independence is 324 Hope Dr., Winchester, VA. Please join us all is welcome.

in the month of October the chapter will be collaborating with the
Winchester Host Lions in downtown Winchester on the walking mall. We will be
Recognizing white cane awareness day and also blind equality achievement
month. Several of our Chapter members are lions and we serve.

On October 17 the chapter will be participating in a disability employment
conference at James Madison University. President Chris Walker will be a
speaker talking on behalf of the National Federation Of The Blind and the
resources that we provide for employment. Chapter is happy to sponsor a
breakout session during this conference. It will take place on October 17,
2022 from 9 AM to 3 PM. They will have employers, human resource and local
employers hiring people with disabilities. We are happy to be a part of
making a difference in employment opportunities. We want to thank In W works
who hires people with disabilities for reaching out. We have a member who
currently works for the organization.

We are taking a field trip up to the National Center. Yes, Chapter members
have shown interest to go home and visit with President Mark Riccovono. We
will take a tour of the center and shop in the Independence market and have
some programming and discussion about the history of the Federation.

We want to thank all the Federation family for the love, hope and
determination we all carry. Changing what it means to be blind and living
the lives we want.

Spotlight On

***September 26, 2022 Deadline to apply for the 2022 NFBV Scholarship****

2022 Scholarship Program

The NFB of Virginia is pleased to announce the launch of its James F. Nelson
merit scholarship program for the academic year 2022-2023. Up to three
scholarships of $2500.00 will be awarded based on academic achievement,
community engagement, and leadership potential. One of these three
scholarships will be directly pledged to a qualifying first-year student or
sophomore.

The NFB of Virginia believes that all blind and vision-impaired students who
apply for a James F. Nelson scholarship can benefit from the experience of
attending the State Convention. The NFBV will cover the reasonable costs
associated with attending the convention for all eligible applicants,
including a room at the hotel shared with a fellow scholarship applicant,
most meals, the cost of registration, and a banquet ticket. Scholarship
applicants should work with their local chapters to explore transportation
options and should notify the scholarship committee if they encounter any
difficulties. Convention related expenses will be reimbursed or covered by
the affiliate at the convention. Please notify the committee if you do not
have access to a credit card or other means of covering pre-convention
costs. Applicants are expected to pre-register for the gathering to signal
their intentions to attend the state convention, and to assist the
scholarship committee in making hotel reservations.

Eligibility - Applicants must:

• Be legally blind or have a visual impairment that qualifies them to
receive services under IDEA or from a state vocational rehabilitation
program

• Be a resident of Virginia, or attending an accredited institution of
higher education in Virginia full-time

• Plan to pursue a full-time, postsecondary course of study in the 2022-23
academic year

• Participate in the entire NFB of Virginia in-person state convention at
the Westin Tysons Corner in Falls Church, Virginia and participate in all
scheduled scholarship program activities to be held October 28 to October
30, 2022. If you are not able to attend, please contact the scholarship
chair to discuss and request any exceptions. All exceptions will be reviewed
and approved by the scholarship committee

To submit an online application, please visit
https://www.nfbv.org/scholarship

Deadline:  Applications must be received no later than 11:59 p.m. Eastern
Standard Time on Monday, September 26th, 2022

For any questions, please contact Jimmy Morris.

Email: jimorris0116 at gmail.com <mailto:jimorris0116 at gmail.com>  Phone: (434)
547-2720

Jimmy L. Morris, MA NOMC

Hello everyone,

it’s that time again. The state convention planning season is well underway,
and I’m looking for a great core group of people who will help make this
convention be a success.

If you are interested, please drop me a line with your phone number. Let me
know if you plan on participating virtually or in person. Then let me know
what areas of the convention planning process you’re interested in
volunteering, and we will find a place for you on the team. The range of
responsibilities is vast--everything from coordinating with sponsors and
managing meals to managing the convention floor and helping with creating a
good guest experience and everything in between.

If you reached out last year, please reach out again so that my data is
fresh. If you want to volunteer but not feeling sure about where you want to
be assigned, reach out anyway. We’ll talk through the best position for you.
If you want to lend a hand but feel concerned about not being able to move
around the hotel, I assure you there is a spot for you on my team. Whether
it’s at the affiliate level or as part of our host chapter team, we’ll
coordinate to get you plugged into the right assignments. Young, old,
introvert, extrovert, shy, loud, sighted, blind ... the only important piece
missing from my dream team is you.

And, if you don’t want to volunteer yourself but know of a friend who would
be great, I want to hear from them.

I very much look forward to hearing back from you! May I count on you to
serve with me this year?

Yours sincerely,

Joe Orozco, Convention Operations

Email jsorozco at gmail.com <mailto:jsorozco at gmail.com>

Affiliate Zoom Information:

https://zoom.us/j/8297256345?pwd=SFAyamlQNU44ZTJ6dUZNMTV4RmhCQT09

One tap mobile:

13017158592,,8297256345#

Telephone Dial: 1 (301) 715-8592

Meeting ID: 829 725 6345#

If needed the password is 20201940

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and
looks like work. -Thomas Edison

Peace,

Jacki Bruce

 <mailto:jackibruce6 at gmail.com> mailto:jackibruce6 at gmail.com
 <tel:(757)291-1789> tel:(757)291-1789
 <http://www.nfb.org/> www.nfb.org
 <http://www.nfbv.org/> www.nfbv.org

who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation’s blind. Every day we work
together to help blind people live the lives they want