[NFBV-Announce] Minutes from the May 7th Board of Directors Meeting

jackibruce6 at gmail.com jackibruce6 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 14:10:28 UTC 2022

>From Mausam Mehta, Recording Secretary, National Federation of the Blind of
Virginia

NFBV Meeting Minutes

May 7, 2022

We took a role call of board meeting attendees both in person and over zoom
to determine whether they would be attending National Convention in person
or virtually.

Mausam Mehta read the meeting minutes from the January 17, 2022 meeting.

The minutes were approved.

Mark Roane delivered the Treasurer's Report, stating the affiliate's general
checking account balance as of April 30, 2022, as $112689.04.

The report was approved.

John Halverson gave a report on the new gavel program, which helps chapters
brainstorm initiatives that will contribute to the affiliate and national
organization. An application with chapter and division activities is
submitted by September 30, and the Gavel committee will decide which will
receive the Gavel award.

Mausam Mehta presented a Bell Academy report submitted by Louise Walch,
discussing the Bell in-home edition, and a shorter in-person day camp
opportunity for students, in Baltimore Maryland.

Bri Murray gave a Project Rise report, highlighting virtual and in-person
activities throughout the year. Recruitment for students is still active,
and work placements for the summer are being coordinated. The mentor search
for next year will take place later in the summer and early Fall.

Sandy Halverson delivered a Silver Bells report, describing the activities
and experiences of the program so far, and detailing future plans.

Joe Orozco gave a Chapter Leadership Institute report, discussing the hard
work of this year's cohort.

We heard a report from CLI on the power of committees, and the efforts to
strengthen communication in these teams to ensure we can do our best work.

We heard a National Convention report, in which we heard the affiliate's
provision to reimburse a banquet ticket for all pre-registrants from
Virginia, the winners of the McDonald Fellowship and Kenneth Jernigan Award,
and a roll call of chapter and division contributions to the National funds.

We then heard division and committee reports, outlining initiatives across
the state.

There was a motion from the scholarship committee to increase the amount of
scholarship awards to $2500 on an ongoing basis.

The motion was adopted.

An additional motion was raised to potentially restrict one of the
scholarship awards offered to freshmen and sophomores only.

The motion was adopted.

The motion to sell peanuts, tote bags,  and coin-holders at the convention
was raised and adopted.

The meeting was concluded with the announcement of our next board meeting,
taking place on August 6.

Respectfully submitted,