[NFBV-Announce] VRCBVI Spring Event 2022 for Students and Their Parents - Expanding Your Universe: Charting Your Future - Saturday, April 23, 2022 - 9:00am to 3:30pm

Melody Roane melody.roane at dbvi.virginia.gov
Mon Mar 7 19:21:39 UTC 2022

Hello everyone,

VRCBVI is excited to announce that it will once again host its annual
in-person spring event for students who are blind or vision impaired and
their parents.  The last time we were able to do this was in 2019, and
participants told us this event was a must-attend for blind and
vision-impaired students and their families.  With that affirmation, VRCBVI
knows that this event can introduce possibilities and change lives.

Please share this information with students (ages 14-18) who would benefit
from interactions with positive and successful blind role models.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Thanks.

Melody

VRCBVI Spring Event 2022

[image: Virginia Rehabilitation Center for the Blind and Vision Impaired -
Live the Life You've Imagined.png]

*Expanding Your Universe: Charting Your Future*

*Saturday, April 23, 2022 - 9:00am to 3:30pm*

*A long time ago,*

*in a galaxy far, far, away*

*on this day in history in 2022,*

*The Virginia Rehabilitation Center for the Blind*

*and Vision Impaired hosted its famous program for*

*blind teens and their parents. Little did the world know that*

* the Spring Event would change the lives of all of the participants.*

VRCBVI’s Spring Event is dedicated to blind students and their families to
demonstrate how blind people live and work successfully and independently.
Our staff will share strategies blind people use to shop, travel with a
long white cane, prepare meals, organize their homes, and take leadership
roles in their school, community and work.

This training will be filled with structured discussions to enhance success
at school and at home and will give you real-life examples of what blind
people can do. Most importantly, it will give you and your child a glimpse
into the possibilities when you have “the right stuff” (skills, confidence
and opportunities).

*Come join us and take your skills to INFINITY & BEYOND!*

*Participation is limited! Use the link below to register today to save
your spot!*

*REGISTRATION DEADLINE: APRIL 8*

*https://www.formrouter.net/forms@VRCB/SpringEvent2022.html*
<https://www.formrouter.net/forms@VRCB/SpringEvent2022.html>

*The day’s agenda will include (students and parents will separate for
breakout sessions):*

9:00am: Registration

9:30am: Welcome to the VRCBVI Observatory

10:00am - 11:00am: Breakout session 1

11:00am - 12:00pm: Breakout session 2

12:00pm - 1:00pm: Galaxy Grub

1:00pm - 2:00pm: Breakout session 3

2:00pm - 3:00pm: Breakout session 4

3:00pm - 3:30pm: Blasting Off Into Your Future

*Description of the day’s mission:*

*Welcome to the VRCBVI Observatory*

Join Commander Melody Roane as she launches us into orbit! Our fearless
leader will lead the opening conversation with a panel of former cadets and
current crew regarding their personal experiences with blindness. They will
share tips and tricks that led to their success and how they use those
skills back on planet Earth.

*Orbiting Literacy & Galactic Gadgetry: Braille and Technology*

Have you ever wondered how someone who is blind identifies printed text,
recognizes money, formats a word document, or navigates a smartphone? You
are invited to meet with members of the VRCBVI Tech department to learn
answers to the above questions and ask some of your own. You can also come
to check out the cutting-edge Braille displays with the VRCBVI Braille
Instructor! Ask any Braille questions you may have and find out how Braille
still works in today's technology-driven society.

*Celestial Skills: Personal Home Management*

Question: Can someone who is Blind or Vision Impaired cook in a kitchen
safely and independently? Answer: “Absolutely!” Come join our VRCBVI
Personal and Home Management department for an overview of basic non-visual
skills needed to make your favorite dishes, keep your kitchen and home
organized, label items, and other techniques used in and around the kitchen!

*Navigating the Nebula: Orientation & Mobility*

The Orientation and Mobility department is rip-roaring and ready for you to
bring your thoughts and questions orbiting around the long white cane.
Plan for a lively discussion focused on the power of the cane, and how it
can propel you towards freedom and independence.  Start thinking now: What
truly makes a confident-cosmic, blind or vision impaired traveler?

*Fueling Your Future: Student Discussion on Life After High School*

Join VRCBVI crew members to learn how to prepare yourself for the adventure
ahead. Learn strategies on how to deal with the turbulence of life in
college, employment, and beyond.

*Preparing to Launch: Parent Discussion on Life After High School*

Join Commander Roane, Asst. Commander Amy Phelps, and others as you prepare
your cadet to successfully complete their mission. Discuss ways to empower,
support, and push them to achieve their maximum potential.

*Blast Off Into Your Future: Closing Discussion*

We will wrap up with Commander Roane as we debrief the day’s mission with
final takeaways and questions before you blast off into the future.

*Remember, participation is limited! We hope to see you on Saturday, April
23! Signing off!*

*REGISTRATION DEADLINE: APRIL 8*

*https://www.formrouter.net/forms@VRCB/SpringEvent2022.html*
<https://www.formrouter.net/forms@VRCB/SpringEvent2022.html>

Melody L. Roane, Director

Virginia Rehabilitation Center for the Blind and Vision Impaired, Virginia
Department for the Blind & Vision Impaired

401 Azalea Avenue, Richmond, VA  23227

Melody.Roane at dbvi.virginia.gov

Phone: (804) 371-3323 | Fax: (804) 371-3092

Facebook: facebook.org/VDBVI <https://www.facebook.com/VDBVI>

LinkedIn: linkedin.com/VDBVI
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/virginia-department-for-the-blind-and-vision-impaired>

www.vrcbvi.org <http://www.vdbvi.org/>

--
Commonwealth of Virginia
Department for the Blind and Vision Impaired

**Notice:** This
email is
for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain
privileged and confidential information. Any unauthorized review, use,
disclosure or duplication of this email is expressly prohibited. If you are
not
an intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately, delete the
email
from your computer, and do not copy or disclose it to anyone else.
Your receipt
of this message is not intended to waive any applicable legal
privilege and
does not constitute an electronic signature or provide
consent to contract
electronically. Also, given the nature of electronic
mail and its potential to
carry computer viruses, the Department of the
Blind and Vision Impaired and the
sender in no way warrant a virus free
transmission. You and your organization
should use appropriate means to
check this email and any attachments for
potential viruses and to prevent
their execution.