[NFBV-Announce] Legislative Update on Virginia progress on National Congressional Priorities

jackibruce6 at gmail.com jackibruce6 at gmail.com
Mon May 9 01:17:48 UTC 2022

>From Deepa Goraya, Virginia Legislative Director for National Issues

deepa.goraya at gmail.com <mailto:deepa.goraya at gmail.com>

Legislative Update

Recap of Washington Seminar from the National Office:

Four of the five introduced bills that we took to Washington this year
gained cosponsors. In the House, the Access Technology Affordability Act
(H.R. 431) gained 12 cosponsors to bring the total number up to 130. The
Medical Device Nonvisual Accessibility Act (H.R. 4853) gained a whopping 17
cosponsors, which more than doubled the number we started with and brought
the total up to 27. The Transformation to Competitive Integrated Employment
Act (H.R. 2373) gained 10 cosponsors to bring its total up to 34. In the
Senate, the Access Technology Affordability Act (S. 212) added one new
cosponsor to bring the total up to 35.

ATAA:

We are now up to 145 cosponsors in the House and 36 in the Senate for the
Access Technology Affordability Act. This is more cosponsors than in any
previous Congress. The more cosponsors we have the more likely it will be
included in an upcoming legislative package. So, if your Representative has
not cosponsored H.R. 431, or one or both of your Senators has not yet
cosponsored S. 212, please email or call them and urge them to do so. Both
of our Virginia senators have cosponsored the bill. The following Virginia
representatives have cosponsored the bill:

Rep. Beyer, Donald S., Jr. [D-VA-8]

Rep. Luria, Elaine G. [D-VA-2]

Rep. Wittman, Robert J. [R-VA-1]

Medical Device Nonvisual Accessibility Act:

Since the 2022 Washington Seminar, the Medical Device Nonvisual
Accessibility Act (H.R. 4853) has seen an incredible wave of new supporters
in the House. We want to keep that momentum going and try to ensure that the
bill remains bipartisan and gains even more traction on the Energy and
Commerce Committee at the same time.

Rep. Gerald Connolly is already a cosponsor. Please call Rep. Morgan
Griffith and ask him to cosponsor the Medical Device Nonvisual Accessibility
Act, and contact all other Virginia House representatives as well who have
not cosponsored.

Additionally, Representative Jan Schakowsky's office has requested you
include a certain google form in your messages. This form is how her office
is tracking the specific Representatives who will sign on as cosponsors to
the bill. This form will be emailed out:

<https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fprotect-u
s.mimecast.com%2Fs%2FYAX_CkROzYcOOy8puVUv_1%3Fdomain%3Ddocs.google.com&data=
04%7C01%7Cjyoung%40nfb.org%7Cd352f06aa7274837d32708da022483a9%7C538f3d4b7395
45cf93fa8dfc2b4a7f62%7C1%7C0%7C637824653738220286%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8ey
JWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdat
a=GEtvWYJh1Tc2kQ0RPyj83rHYq%2B0y%2FmfxTTcTxdoAVIo%3D&reserved=0>
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSflFj2TQrBYmilvTPL38fy26m1LEgLCUknL
9Ya8a1zAzrrxxQ/viewform