[NFBV-Announce] what's happenin and zoom

jackibruce6 at gmail.com jackibruce6 at gmail.com
Mon May 9 12:16:00 UTC 2022

Hey NFB Family and Friends,

I  hope everyone has had a  good week. Happy Mother’s Day to all of the
Mom’s out there!!Enjoy your week and share a  smile.

Spotlight On

Hello NFB Family!

We, the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee, have something exciting
to announce!

Any history buff will remember, during WWII, The Great Depression, the New
Deal
our President at that time was Franklin D. Roosevelt, good ‘ole FDR.
In order to connect with the American people, to provide news and
reassurance during those difficult times, FDR initiated the Fireside Chats,
a radio broadcast program that was very informal, just as though he were
having a conversation with America.

Your DEI Committee has decided to borrow this approach from FDR in an effort
to further connect with our blind community and connect our blind community
members with each other!

We introduce to you, our “Fireside Diversity Chats”.  This will be a time
when our community can come together, be introduced to a specific topic in
diversity, and have an open forum in which to safely and openly discuss the
given issue.  The evening will be facilitated by a member of the DEI
Committee.  By design, we expect this to be a rich and dynamic experience,
and are looking forward to blowing the top of the Zoom Room!

Our first Fireside Diversity Chat topic is:

WILL SMITH & CHRIS ROCK AT THE OSCARS:  WHAT’S THE BIG DEAL?

This year at the Oscar’s, Chris Rock joked about Will Smith’s wife, Jada
Pinkett-Smith, starring in the next GI Jane movie because of her buzz
haircut!  Will didn’t like that too much so he walked up on stage and
slapped Chris across his face.  We will play the YouTube video clip to start
off our first ever Fireside Diversity Chat, and then, we will open it up for
a robust, facilitated discussion.

Scheduled for:

Monday, May 9, 2022

7:00 p.m. on the Affiliate Zoom, see below for link.

Gather your thoughts, ideas and feelings and let’s go!

We hope you will clear your calendar and plan on being part of this exciting
program!

See you there!

Renée F. Valdez, M.A.

Secretary/Treasurer, National Federation of the Blind,

Greater Alexandria Chapter

Chair, NFB of Virginia,

Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committee

Co-Chair, NFB of Virginia,

Fundraising Committee

Vice President, Northern VA Regional Local Human Rights Committee

(703) 966-0836

Chapter and Division Meetings this week

Greater Williamsburg Chapter Meeting  - Tuesday, May 10th, 6 to 8  PM.
Center Street Grill, 5100 Center Street, Williamsburg, 23188. Please join us
in person or on the affiliate’s zoom.

Fredericksburg Chapter Meeting  - Central Rappahannock Regional Library
(CRRL) main branch

1201 Caroline Street

Fredericksburg, VA 22401

Michael’s mobile (540)760-3885

michaelgkasey at verizon.net <mailto:michaelgkasey at verizon.net>

May 12 from 6:30-8 pm conference room 2

Potomac Chapter Meeting  - St. George’s Episcopal Church, 915 North Oakland
Street,  Arlington, 22203.

Life is ours to be spent, not to be saved! -D.H. Lawrence

Peace,

Jacki Bruce

 <mailto:jackibruce6 at gmail.com> mailto:jackibruce6 at gmail.com
 <tel:(757)291-1789> tel:(757)291-1789
 <http://www.nfb.org/> www.nfb.org
 <http://www.nfbv.org/> www.nfbv.org

who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation’s blind. Every day we work
together to help blind people live the lives they want