[NFBV-Announce] What's Happening and Zoom!

jackibruce6 at gmail.com jackibruce6 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 03:17:04 UTC 2022

Hey NFB Family and Friends,

The Holiday Season is upon us. I hope everyone has a peaceful and love
filled Thanksgiving.

Kudos Corner

Last Friday, The greater Alexandria Chapter hosted an exciting excursion to
Planet Word Museum in Washington, DC.  There were thirteen of us
Federationsists who attended this awesome event!  The first part of our
visit had the gang wearing our detective hats on Lexicon Lane where Jukebox
Hero was the name of the game!  In teams, we worked to find the clues in
songs to solve the great mystery, and as each team solved their mystery,
they borke out in their unique rendition of their mystery song!  It was
horrible!  Ha, ha!  Following the great fun of the sleuthing, we furthered
the musical torture in the Kareoke Room, where we joined several elementary
school children at the microphones, singing a variety of selections!  It was
loud, and crazy, and so much fun!  Then we trekked to the Immigrant Food
Restaurant on the third floor, where we sat at this really lonog table,
laughed, enjoyed a scruptious lunch of Belgian Fries, Havana Sandwiches, and
yes, even good old Grilled Cheese!

On an industrious note, the Chapter was able to work with Planet Word staff
to get the materials for the Jukebox Hero mystery game produced in large
print and Braille!  They will have that on hand for future groups who may
need them!

Our visit to Planet Word Museum was a very fun and positive experience.  It
was not expensive and would be a great outing for any group!  The staff was
very friendly and accomodating!  This is an experience we will definitely
host again in the future!

If you are interested in hosting an event there, we recommend talking to
Adriana.  Here is her information:

Adriana Licón, Director of Operations and Visitor Services

Planet Word | Museum of Language Arts

925 13th Street, NW | Washington, DC 20005

 <mailto:adriana.licon at planetwordmuseum.org>
adriana.licon at planetwordmuseum.org | O (202) 918-6135

Renée F. Valdez, M.A.

Secretary/Treasurer, National Federation of the Blind,

Greater Alexandria Chapter

Chair, NFB of Virginia,

Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committee

Co-Chair, NFB of Virginia,

Fundraising Committee

Vice President, Northern VA Regional Local Human Rights Committee

(703) 966-0836

Spotlight On

Psssssst
Yeah
YOU!

Wanna know a secret?

The Greater Alexandria Chapter is working on something BIG!  And we need
your help!  Don’t worry!  We are not asking for money again!  Ha, ha!

We need your
RECIPES!!  And not just any recipes!  We need your most special
holiday recipes!  You know, the ones handed down from your
great-great-great-great Grandmother, written on that really old, and now,
very delicate and brownish piece of paper, all folded up, that your mother
used for a bookmark until it came time to bake for the holidays!  THAT
recipe!  It might be for a traditional holiday dessert or special entrée, or
even a special drink concoction, alcoholic or otherwise!  Whatever it is,
PLEASE share it with us because we want to include it in our 1st Annual
Greater Alexandria Chapter Holiday Cookbook!

That’s right!  You can have your beloved family holiday recipes memorialized
in this totally awesome digital cookbook and share it with our entire NFBV
Family
and beyond!

Here is what you need to do to get in on this new holiday tradition

1.     Go to your favorite family cookbook old family photo albums; that old
shoe box on the top shelf in the back of your closet, or wherever you hide
those coveted family recipes!

2.     Dig out 1 or 2 or 3 of your favorite holiday recipes!

3.     Type them out in an email, or take a clear picture of them with your
phone, and send it to:  <mailto:reneerome at yahoo.com> reneerome at yahoo.com by
Tuesday, November 29th, but the sooner you send it in, the better! Please
type “GAC COOKBOOK” in the subject line of your email.

4.     Please include the following information in your email:

    a.      Your name

    b.     What Chapter you are a member of

    c.      Your recipe. Please tell me if it is a dessert, entrée, or
beverage.  Assure all spelling is correct.

    d.     A brief (3-5 sentences) story of the family tradition connected
to this special recipe.  Feel free to be as sappy as you want!

Here is something really special!  Be the first 7 to 10 people to send in
your recipes and yours will receive the distinguished honor of including
your beautiful description of your family holiday tradition on the page with
your recipe!

This Special Holiday Cookbook will be ready for public consumption (excuse
the pun !), on Tuesday, December 6th for the price of $10.

Don’t miss out!  Please send in your recipes today!

Renée F. Valdez, M.A.

Secretary/Treasurer, National Federation of the Blind,

Greater Alexandria Chapter

Chair, NFB of Virginia,

Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committee

Co-Chair, NFB of Virginia,

Fundraising Committee

Vice President, Northern VA Regional Local Human Rights Committee

(703) 966-0836

Ladies Night!

The Ladies Night cooking demo, last night, was a huge success! So guess
what? We’re doing it again! On Saturday, December 10th, please note the
date, we are having this special Ladies Night on the 2nd Saturday of
December, instead of the 1st and 3rd Saturday’s. Please mark your calendars
and join us on the 10th. More information and recipe coming soon!

Here’s how to join our Affiliate’s Zoom:

https://zoom.us/j/8297256345?pwd=SFAyamlQNU44ZTJ6dUZNMTV4RmhCQT09

One tap mobile

tell: +13017158592,,8297256345#

Telephone Dial: 1 (301) 715-8592

Meeting ID: 829 725 6345#

If needed the password is 20201940

The time is always right to do what is right. -Dr. Martin Luther King

Happy Thanksgiving!

Peace,

Jacki Bruce

President, Greater Williamsburg Chapter

RISE/Silver Bells Outreach Coordinator

 <mailto:jackibruce6 at gmail.com> mailto:jackibruce6 at gmail.com
 <tel:(757)291-1789> tel:(757)291-1789
 <http://www.nfb.org/> www.nfb.org
 <http://www.nfbv.org/> www.nfbv.org

who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation’s blind. Every day we work
together to help blind people live the lives they want