[NFBV-Announce] What's happening and zoom!

jackibruce6 at gmail.com jackibruce6 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 03:50:29 UTC 2022

Hey NFB Family and Friends,

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! Please read below and mark your
calendars; a number of great things happening real soon. Join us!

Kudos Corner

Psssssst
Yeah
YOU!

Wanna know a secret?

The Greater Alexandria Chapter is STILL working on something BIG!  And we
STILL need your help!

We need MORE RECIPES!!  And not just any recipes!  We need your most special
holiday recipes!  You know, the ones handed down from your
great-great-great-great Grandmother, written on that really old, and now,
very delicate and brownish piece of paper, all folded up, that your mother
used for a bookmark until it came time to bake for the holidays!  THAT
recipe!  It might be for a traditional holiday dessert or special entrée, or
even a special drink concoction, alcoholic or otherwise!  Whatever it is,
PLEASE share it with us because we want to include it in our 1st Annual
Greater Alexandria Chapter Holiday Cookbook!

That’s right!  You can have your beloved family holiday recipes memorialized
in this totally awesome digital cookbook and share it with our entire NFBV
Family
and beyond!

Here is what you need to do to get in on this new holiday tradition

1.     Go to your favorite family cookbook old family photo albums; that old
shoe box on the top shelf in the back of your closet, or wherever you hide
those coveted family recipes!

2.     Dig out 1 or 2 or 3 of your favorite holiday recipes!

3.     Type them out in an email, or take a clear picture of them with your
phone, and send it to:  <mailto:reneerome at yahoo.com> reneerome at yahoo.com by
Tuesday, November 29th, but the sooner you send it in, the better! Please
type “GAC COOKBOOK” in the subject line of your email.

4.     Please include the following information in your email:

    a.      Your name

    b.     What Chapter you are a member of

    c.      Your recipe. Please tell me if it is a dessert, entrée, or
beverage.  Assure all spelling is correct.

    d.     A brief (3-5 sentences) story of the family tradition connected
to this special recipe.  Feel free to be as sappy as you want!

Here is something really special!  Be the first 7 to 10 people to send in
your recipes and yours will receive the distinguished honor of including
your beautiful description of your family holiday tradition on the page with
your recipe!

This Special Holiday Cookbook will be ready for public consumption (excuse
the pun !), on Tuesday, December 6th for the price of $10.

Don’t miss out!  Please send in your recipes today!

Renée F. Valdez, M.A.

Secretary/Treasurer, National Federation of the Blind,

Greater Alexandria Chapter

Chair, NFB of Virginia,

Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committee

Co-Chair, NFB of Virginia,

Fundraising Committee

Vice President, Northern VA Regional Local Human Rights Committee

(703) 966-0836

Spotlight ON

HO HO HO, Y’ALL!

It’s that time again!

Huh!  What do you mean “what time”?  It’s THAT time!  Holiday Celebration
Time!  A time to come together once again, IN PERSON, (our first time since
2019 when COVID hit!), to laugh, break bread, sing a few songs, and enjoy
the magic and love of the holiday season!

In the spirit of all this mushiness, The Greater Alexandria Chapter
presents

A Joyful Return to “Happy Holidays”!

When?  Saturday, December 10th, 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.

Where?  Arielle’s place, Montebello Condominiums, 5902 Mount Eagle Drive,
Alexandria, VA 22303. Detailed directions will be provided to those who
RSVP.

Cost?  $20.00, catered dinner.

BYOB (Bring your own beverage) if you wish!  Or bring drinks to share,
alcoholic or otherwise.

Also, if you feel moved by your sweet tooth, feel free to bring a dessert to
share with the rest of the party animals!  It would be greatly appreciated!

So, here’s the fun part!  Pay attention!

Following our catered dinner, we are shaking it up!

1.     We will have an open mic for all of us who like to sing in public!
All you shower singers
c’mon!  Take a risk!  Sing a song or two with your
friends!

2.    We will be hosting a Holiday Fashion Olympics complete with a runway
and very official Olympic judges! There will be a secret, celebrity judge on
hand!  Even WE don’t know who it is yet!  LOL!  So, dig out your most
festive holiday outfit and wear it to the party!  All will be judged on
creativity, uniqueness, and
well...creativity!  1st prize - $25 Amazon gift
card. 2nd prize - $15 Amazon gift card. 3rd prize - $10 Amazon gift card.

3.    WHITE ELEPHANT GIFT EXCHANGE!  My favorite!  We hope everyone will
bring a wrapped gift, under $10, appropriate for anyone!  As we play through
the process, gifts will be enjoyed and possibly stolen!  It makes for great
fun, so bring your wrapped gift and get ready to steal
I mean play!

4.    50/50 Raffle!  Any money made will be split between Greater Alexandria
Chapter and the person who wins!  All details will be shared with those who
RSVP.

Sounds like fun, right!  So, here’s what you need to do

RSVP by Friday, December 2nd.  To RSVP, please send your payment of $20 to
the Greater Alexandria Chapter Zelle account using NFBVGAC1 at GMAIL.COM
<mailto:NFBVGAC1 at GMAIL.COM> . If you don’t use Zelle, you can send a check
for $20 made out to The Greater Alexandria Chapter. Please write “Holiday”
on the notes line.  Send your check to:

Renee Valdez

3934 Woodhue Pl

Alexandria, VA 22309

When you send in your payment, via Zelle or mail, please send Renee Valdez
an email at  <mailto:reneerome at yahoo.com> reneerome at yahoo.com letting me
know you did so and I will add you to the RSVP list. Please type “GAC
Holiday Party” in the subject line of your email.

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact Renee Valdez,
reneerome at yahoo.com or 703-966-0836.

We are hoping to burst the seams of Arielle’s party room, so please come to
our Greater Alexandria Chapter’s JOYFUL RETURN TO “HAPPY HOLIDAYS” PARTY!

See you there
with bells on!

Renée F. Valdez, M.A.

Secretary/Treasurer, National Federation of the Blind,

Greater Alexandria Chapter

Chair, NFB of Virginia,

Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committee

Co-Chair, NFB of Virginia,

Fundraising Committee

Vice President, Northern VA Regional Local Human Rights Committee

Calling all Ladies

Please mark your calendars and join all of your girlfriends for another
cooking demonstration on Saturday, December 10th, from 7 thru 9 PM. We will
be showing how to make a hearty soup for those cold nights! Recipe being
announced soon. Please note the date, due to the holidays, Ladies Night will
be on December 10th, only, this month.

Save the date!

The National Federation of the  Blind of Virginia is holding a membership
development seminar on Saturday December 17 between 1:00 and 4:00 PM on the
Affiliate’s Zoom. We will discuss internal chapter growth, ideas for new
chapter expansion, and do some mock recruiting.

All are  invited.

If you have  questions do not hesitate to contact me.

JWH100 at outlook.com <mailto:JWH100 at outlook.com>

703-867-6400.

John Halverson

Here’s how to join our Affiliate’s Zoom:

https://zoom.us/j/8297256345?pwd=SFAyamlQNU44ZTJ6dUZNMTV4RmhCQT09

One tap mobile

tell: +13017158592,,8297256345#

Telephone Dial: 1 (301) 715-8592

Meeting ID: 829 725 6345#

If needed the password is 20201940

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken! -Oscar Wilde

Peace,

Jacki Bruce

President, Greater Williamsburg Chapter

RISE/Silver Bells Outreach Coordinator

 <mailto:jackibruce6 at gmail.com> mailto:jackibruce6 at gmail.com
 <tel:(757)291-1789> tel:(757)291-1789
 <http://www.nfb.org/> www.nfb.org
 <http://www.nfbv.org/> www.nfbv.org

who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation’s blind. Every day we work
together to help blind people live the lives they want