[NFBV-Announce] What's happening and zoom

jackibruce6 at gmail.com jackibruce6 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 19:11:21 UTC 2023

Hey NFB Family and Friends,

Check out the happenings within our Affiliate and be sure to mark your
calendars for our May 13th Board Meeting in Tysons Corner. Read below for a
sneak peek. Hope everyone has a good week and don't forget to pass on your
smile.

Kudos Corner.

Hi Federation Family,

All are welcome to join us for our National Federation of the Blind of
Virginia Spring Board of Directors meeting in Falls Church Virginia on
Saturday, May 13 at the Westin Tysons Corner.

The board meeting is open to all and will include some special programming
in conjunction with a weekend retreat for our pre-employment transition
service (Project RISE) participants.

This message is not intended for our Project RISE participants. If you are a
Project RISE participant, please look for separate instructions from the
Project RISE coordinators. Do not use this registration form.

Information in Brief

Date: Saturday, May 13, 2023

Philosophy Luncheon starting at Noon and the NFBV Board Meeting from 1:00 PM
- 4 PM

Location: Westin Tysons Corner
Birches Room
7801 Leesburg Pike
Falls Church, VA 22043

Optional Room Rates: If you wish to stay on Friday night or Saturday night
at the Westin Tysons Corner at our negotiated rate, we can offer hotel rooms
through the NFB of Virginia. The fully loaded cost for each room night is
$125.

Use the registration form below to indicate your room reservation)

Box Lunch Fee: $15

Guest room and box lunch payments will be collected outside of the Birches
room between 11 AM and 1 PM.

Deadline for Guest Room Reservation: Friday, April 28 at 5 PM

Deadline for Box Lunch Request: Friday, May 5 at 5 PM

Questions? Please contact Tracy Soforenko: 202-285-4595, or
<mailto:tracy.soforenko at gmail.com> tracy.soforenko at gmail.com.

Friday, May 12

In addition to the project RISE programming on Friday evening, we are
working to plan a hands-on program and discussion for the Virginia
Association of Parents of Blind Children. More details to follow.

Saturday, May 13

1. Federation "Shark Tank" - Starting at 10:45 AM, to assist our Project
RISE participants in honing their marketing & communications skills, our
Project RISE participants will be presenting their pitch for a new product
or service. A set of Federation leaders will be tasked with serving as
virtual investors in these student ideas. We anticipate a fun and engaging
opportunity to observe our students as they pitch the possible.

2. National Federation of the Blind of Virginia board of directors meeting -
from 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM we will hold our board meeting which is open to all.
During the meeting, we will be sharing exciting updates about our work
together, providing details for our upcoming national & state conventions,
and discussing some changes that will impact our chapters and divisions.
These meetings are fast paced and engaging, and all are welcome. Since it is
a board meeting, there may be a few votes that are limited to voting board
delegates, but these are generally limited to just a few topics.

3. Federation Philosophy Fest/Lunch - We are planning an interactive
discussion of our positive perspective on blindness which we call our
Federation Philosophy. Please join us for this lunchtime discussion from
12Noon to 1:00 PM. A subsidized box lunch is available for those who
register in advance and pay for their lunch on site. While the costs for a
boxed lunch from the hotel has increased, we will be charging $15 for a
boxed lunch. This is a significant subsidy to our members. While we will
have a means to take credit cards, we strongly encourage you to bring $15 in
cash to expedite the payment process.

Hotel Lodging

For affiliate members interested, the affiliate has reserved a block of
rooms at the Westin Tysons Corner. The block is primarily for Project RISE
but recognizing others may want to travel from other parts of the state, we
have created a little space for affiliate members interested in coming early
or leaving a little later to enjoy the capitol region during the warmer
weather. The room block is active from Friday, May 12 through Sunday, May
14.

Room rates are $109, plus taxes and fees which equates to $125 per night and
includes complimentary overnight self parking.

Please do not contact the hotel for room reservations. Please use the
registration form below to indicate your interest in a guest room by Friday,
April 28 at 5 PM. Payments for your room will be collected on Saturday, May
13 between 11 AM and 1 PM outside of the Birches room.

Your interest in a guest room is taken on good faith. You will be required
to pay the affiliate the cost of your room. In the event of a cancellation,
you are held to the same cancellation policy observed by the Westin
property.

We're excited to see you! Please access the web form to lock in your spot at
what promises to be an excellent way to break from the routine!

https://nfbv.org/spring

Tracy Soforenko

President, National Federation of the Blind of Virginia

202 285-4595

Tracy.soforenko at gmail.com <mailto:Tracy.soforenko at gmail.com>

Spotlight On.

Greetings all,

The next meeting of the Tidewater Chapter of NFB of Virginia is scheduled
for Saturday, April 15, 2023.  Since the restaurant where we have been
meeting for the past few months has closed, we will be meeting this month at
Orapax, 1300 Redgate Ave., Norfolk, VA  23507.  We will meet for lunch at 1
PM with the meeting running from 2-3:30 PM.  We will also be meeting via
Zoom (details below).  If you plan to come for lunch, please let me know by
Thursday, April 13 @ 12 Noon. My contact information is at the bottom of
this email.  We have met at this location in the past.

I look forward to seeing all of you at the meeting.  We will be having
elections at this time.

Warm Regards,

Stewart Prost, President, Tidewater Chapter, NFB of Virginia

Phone: 757-572-6891

Email: sprost82 at gmail.com <mailto:sprost82 at gmail.com>

Hello everyone!

I hope this email finds you well. I am writing to let you all know that
instead of your standard chapter meeting, the PWC chapter will be going to
the local farmers market on April 16, 2023. The farmers market here in
Woodbridge is one of the largest Farmers market on the East Coast. Please
come and join us, if interested, please reach out to Marc Ross, so that way
we could have an accurate headcount of who is attending. His number will be
below, if you cannot make it at 9 AM, I understand that is a commitment,
lol. Don't worry, tomorrow, farmers market runs from 9 AM to 1 PM and we
will be there for its entirety . Just please make sure to contact Marc Ross
so we can find you. His number is here:

703-9 27-6708. You can also reach him at his home, phone number, 703-6
80-2843.

Thank you,

Oscar Montiel.

Here's how to join our Affiliate's Zoom:

https://zoom.us/j/8297256345?pwd=SFAyamlQNU44ZTJ6dUZNMTV4RmhCQT09

One tap mobile

tell: +13017158592,,8297256345#

Telephone Dial: 1 (301) 715-8592

Meeting ID: 829 725 6345#

If needed the password is 20201940

Chapter Information:

Eastern Shore Chapter

Althea Pittman

Phone: 757-787-3853

E-mail: vaescil at gmail.com

Contact the chapter for current meeting times.

Chesapeake Bay Chapter

Chapter meeting:  Fourth Saturday from 11 AM to 1:30 PM, at the Gus and
George's Spaghetti and Steakhouse, 4312 Virginia Beach Blvd, Virginia Beach,
23452.

Virtual Meeting Information: None, in person only.

Fairfax Chapter

Chapter meeting:  Third Thursday from 7 to 8:30 PM, at the Red Hot & Blue,
4150 Chain Bridge Road, Fairfax 22030.

Virtual Meeting Information: None, in person only.

Greater Alexandria Chapter

Chapter meeting:  Fourth Thursday of most months from 7 to 9pm.

Virtual Meeting Information:  Uses affiliate zoom.

Greater Williamsburg Chapter

Chapter meeting: First Saturday of each month

>From 1 to 3 PM at the James City Rec. Center,5301 Long Hill Road,
Williamsburg, 23188.

Virtual Meeting Information:

Peninsula Chapter

Chapter meeting:   Third Saturday of the month from 11:30 to 1 PM, My
Neighbor's Pub, 12743 Jefferson Avenue, Newport News, 23602.

Virtual Meeting Information:  Phone 605-475-4825 passcode, 549778#.

Potomac Chapter

Chapter meeting:     Second Wednesday of each month from 7 to 8:30 PM.

Virtual Meeting Information:

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/6025022255

Meeting ID: 602 502 2255

One tap mobile +13017158592,,6025022255 <tel:%20+13017158592,,6025022255>

Prince William Chapter

Chapter meeting:    Third Saturday of the month, from 2 to 3PM.

Virtual Meeting Information:   Phone 605-313-5562 passcode, 293383.

We occasionally meet at Bar Louie, 15001 Potomac Town Place, Woodbridge,
22191, follow this weekly announcement to learn when we will be in person.

Richmond Chapter

Chapter meeting:    Fourth Monday of the month from 6:30-8:30 PM in the
assembly room of the Administrative Activities Building at VDBI, 401 Azalea
Ave. Richmond 23227.

Virtual Meeting Information:  Uses affiliate zoom.

Tidewater Chapter

Chapter meeting:    Third Saturday of the month from 2PM to 3:30PM at
Orapax, 1300 Redgate Ave., Norfolk, VA  23507.  We will meet for lunch at 1
PM with the meeting running from 2-3:30 PM.

Virtual Meeting Information:
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/3661685508?pwd=a2RwY0o5TWVIa2xBbDBPSEJzL0l2QT09

Meeting ID: 366 168 5508
Passcode: 21211955
One tap mobile
 <tel:%20+13017158592,,3661685508#,,,,*21211955>
+13017158592,,3661685508#,,,,*21211955# US (Washington DC)

Dial by your location
        +1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)

Winchester Chapter

Chapter meeting:    Third Saturday of the month from 10 AM to 11:30 AM at
Sollenberger True Value Hardware, 832 Berryville Ave., Winchester, 22601.

Virtual Meeting Information: Uses Affiliate Zoom.

At-Large Chapter

Chapter meeting:   Third Tuesday of the month from 8 PM to 9 PM, August
through May, with a face to face reception held during state convention.

Designed to meet the needs of Virginians who do not live near a local
chapter.

Virtual Meeting Information:  Uses affiliate zoom.

Seniors Division

Chapter Meeting: Fourth Wednesday the month from 7 PM to 9 PM

Virtual information: Uses Affiliate's zoom

If you have a positive attitude and constantly strive to give your best
effort,eventually you will  overcome your immediate problems and and find
you are ready for greater challenges. -Pat Riley

Peace,

Jacki Bruce

RISE/Silver Bells Outreach Coordinator

 <mailto:jackibruce6 at gmail.com> mailto:jackibruce6 at gmail.com
 <tel:(757)291-1789> tel:(757)291-1789
 <http://www.nfb.org/> www.nfb.org
 <http://www.nfbv.org/> www.nfbv.org

together to help blind people live the lives they want