[NFBV-Announce] Information you can use!

jackibruce6 at gmail.com jackibruce6 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 17 03:26:29 UTC 2023

Hey NFB Family and Friends,

This email has been evolving. It is separated into sections: Things to do,
Articles, and Tech information. If you come across anything you find of
interest, within these categories or a new one, please send the information
to me to share. Thanks to everyone who has been sharing.

Things to do.

Join us on Wednesday, April 26 at 3:30 for KidsLIVE! Author Talk with Mari
Lowe!

This event will take place in person at the Andrew Heiskell Braille and
Talking Book Library and virtually on Zoom.

We'll talk about one of Mari's books, Aviva vs the Dybbuk, which is one of
NYPL's Best New Books for Kids. We will also have a Q&A with Mari and an
activity relating to the book!

Can't make it in person? Register on our website
<https://www.nypl.org/events/programs/2023/04/24/kidslive-author-talk-tuesda
ys-mari-lowe>  to receive the Zoom link the day before the program.

There's still time to read Aviva vs. the Dybbuk before April 26! Call us at
212-206-5400 or email us at talkingbooks at nypl.org
<mailto:talkingbooks at nypl.org>  to request Aviva vs. the Dybbuk (DB112560)
on cartridge, or download it from BARD
<https://nlsbard.loc.gov/nlsbardprod/download/detail/srch/DB112560> .

We hope to see you there!

--

If you are looking to reach us by phone, our phones are answered Monday,
Wednesday, Friday and Saturday from 10am - 5pm and Tuesday /Thursday from

212-206-5400

Toll-free 855-697-6975

Andrew Heiskell Braille and Talking Book Library

40 West 20th Street

New York, NY 10011

Articles.

No new articles this time.

Tech Information.

Now Available: Second Edition of THE WINDOWS SCREEN READER PRIMER: ALL THE
BASICS AND MORE

The second edition of my book, "The Windows Screen Reader Primer: All the
Basics and More," is now out. Published by my organization, The Carroll
Center for the Blind, It is available to you for free in Word and ePub
formats. The book is meant to help JAWS, NVDA, and Windows Narrator users
work more effectively with the most important PC applications, including the
Windows operating system, MS Office (Word, Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint),
and the three most popular web browsers (Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, and
Mozilla Firefox). Dropbox, OneDrive, and Google Drive for Desktop, the three
most popular cloud-based file-sharing programs, are also covered. So too is
Adobe Acrobat Reader for accessing PDF files. A new chapter on participating
in, scheduling, and hosting Zoom meetings is included in this second
edition. So too is an appendix on using academic style guides for formatting
Word documents. A glossary with over 100 definitions of computer-related
terms and a set of practice exercises are also included.

The book is intended for both beginners and intermediate users. While all
the basics are covered, those already possessing a fair amount of experience
using screen reader programs in the Windows environment will find useful
tools and techniques to further enhance their skills.

You can download the book and make a voluntary donation to the Carroll
Center at:

https://carroll.org/the-windows-screen-reader-primer-all-the-basics-and-more
-second-edition/

On this page, please fill in some basic information about yourself, and
activate the Submit button. You will be redirected to a page where you can
make a voluntary donation. If you are not interested in making a donation,
skip all the payment information fields and click on the download link. The
book should then go directly to your Downloads folder in a ZIP file,
containing three subfolders (chapters in ePub and Word formats, practice
files), and a single file with the full text of the book in Word. Once
downloaded, be sure to copy the subfolders to somewhere else on your
computer. Do not leave them in the ZIP file or they will misbehave.

If you have any problem downloading the book feel free to contact me
off-list at David.kingsbury at carroll.org <mailto:David.kingsbury at carroll.org>
.

I hope you find the book to be a useful resource. Please share it with
others.

Best regards,

David

Peace,

Jacki Bruce

RISE/Silver Bells Outreach Coordinator

 <mailto:jackibruce6 at gmail.com> mailto:jackibruce6 at gmail.com
 <tel:(757)291-1789> tel:(757)291-1789
 <http://www.nfb.org/> www.nfb.org
 <http://www.nfbv.org/> www.nfbv.org

together to help blind people live the lives they want