[NFBV-Announce] What's Happening and Zoom!

jackibruce6 at gmail.com jackibruce6 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 17 18:11:18 UTC 2023

Hey NFB Family and Friends,

I hope everyone has had a good week! Remember to pay it forward and SMILE!

Please mark your calendars for our next Affiliate Board Meeting, on our
Affiliate's Zoom. Saturday, August 5th from 1 thru 4 PM. The agenda will be
sent soon. Please plan to attend, your Affiliate has been busy! When you
attend, you'll hear what's been going on and what's coming up! You can even
attend in your jammies.

Kudos Corner.

Support our Tidewater Chapter as they raise funds. Read on to see how.

"The Tidewater Chapter is holding a Super Summer Fundraiser!  We are selling
chances to win a beauty basket filled with beauty products from Bath and
Body Works valued at over $300.  Tickets are as follows: 1 ticket for $5.00,
3 tickets for $10, 7 tickets for $20.  Tickets are available from any
Tidewater chapter member, or can be obtained by either sending funds via
Zelle to nfbvtc at gmail.com <mailto:nfbvtc at gmail.com>  or sending a check made
out to NFBTC to our Treasurer, Michael Kitchens, 40 Cooper Drive,
Portsmouth, VA 23702.  The drawing will take place at our August 19 chapter
meeting.  You do not need to be present to win.

Spotlight On.

Another great program from your Affiliate, Scholarships! Please read on and
pass this information far and wide.

To all my NFB family and Friends,

We are pleased to launch this year's 2023-2024 NFB of Virginia Scholarship
program. The scholarship committee would love to request your help in
distributing the information below to everyone you know who is attending a
college or university this upcoming year. Your participation and help are
appreciated and are a huge part of our success. Please see all the details
below. Thanks again for your help and support in making this a fantastic
opportunity for our blind students across Virginia.

2023 Scholarship Program

The NFB of Virginia is pleased to announce the launch of its James F. Nelson
merit scholarship program for the academic year 2023-2024. Up to three
scholarships of $2500.00 will be awarded based on academic achievement,
community engagement, and leadership potential.  One of these three
scholarships will be directly pledged to a qualifying freshman or sophomore.

The NFB of Virginia believes that all blind and vision-impaired students who
apply for a James F. Nelson scholarship can benefit from the experience of
attending the State Convention.  The NFBV will cover the reasonable costs
associated with attending the convention for all eligible applicants,
including a room at the hotel shared with a fellow scholarship applicant,
most meals, the cost of registration, and a banquet ticket.  Scholarship
applicants should work with their local chapters to explore transportation
options and should notify the scholarship committee if they encounter any
difficulties.  Convention related expenses will be reimbursed or covered by
the affiliate at the convention.  Please notify the committee if you do not
have access to a credit card or other means of covering pre-convention
costs.  Applicants are expected to pre-register for the gathering to signal
their intentions to attend the state convention, and to assist the
scholarship committee in making hotel reservations.

Eligibility - Applicants must:

. Be legally blind or have a visual impairment that qualifies them to
receive services under IDEA or from a state vocational rehabilitation
program

. Be a resident of Virginia, or attending a Virginia accredited institution
of higher education full-time

. Plan to pursue a full-time, postsecondary course of study in the 2023-24
academic year

. Participate in the entire NFB of Virginia in-person state convention in
Williamsburg,  Virginia and participate in all scheduled scholarship program
activities to be held on November 2nd- 5th, 2023.

To submit an online application, please visit
https://www.nfbv.org/scholarship

Deadline:  Applications must be received no later than 11:59 p.m. Eastern
Standard Time on Monday, October 2nd, 2023

For any questions, please contact Jimmy Morris.

Email: jimorris0116 at gmail.com <mailto:jimorris0116 at gmail.com>  Phone: (434)
547-2720

Jimmy L. Morris, MA NOMC

Here's how to join our Affiliate's Zoom:

https://zoom.us/j/8297256345?pwd=SFAyamlQNU44ZTJ6dUZNMTV4RmhCQT09

One tap mobile

tell: +13017158592,,8297256345#

Telephone Dial: 1 (301) 715-8592

Meeting ID: 829 725 6345#

If needed the password is 20201940

Chapter Information:

Eastern Shore Chapter

Althea Pittman

Phone: 757-787-3853

E-mail: vaescil at gmail.com <mailto:vaescil at gmail.com>

Contact the chapter for current meeting times.

Chesapeake Bay Chapter

Chapter meeting:  Fourth Saturday from 11 AM to 1:30 PM, at the Gus and
George's Spaghetti and Steakhouse, 4312 Virginia Beach Blvd, Virginia Beach,
23452.

Virtual Meeting Information: None, in person only.

Fairfax Chapter

Chapter meeting:  Third Thursday from 7 to 8:30 PM, virtual meetings only.

Virtual Meeting Information: Uses the Affiliate's Zoom

Greater Alexandria Chapter

Chapter meeting:  Fourth Thursday of most months from 7 to 9pm.

Virtual Meeting Information:  Uses affiliate zoom.

Greater Williamsburg Chapter

Chapter meeting: First Saturday of each month

>From 1 to 3 PM at the James City Rec. Center,5301 Long Hill Road,
Williamsburg, 23188.

Virtual Meeting Information:

Peninsula Chapter

Chapter meeting:   Third Saturday of the month from 11:30 to 1 PM, Faith
Community Church, 657 Harpersville Road, Newport News, 23601

Virtual Meeting Information:  Phone 605-475-4825 passcode, 549778#.

Potomac Chapter

Chapter meeting:     Second Wednesday of each month from 7 to 8:30 PM.

Virtual Meeting Information:   Uses Affiliate Zoom.

Prince William Chapter

Chapter meeting:    Third Saturday of the month, from 2 to 3PM.

Virtual Meeting Information:   Phone 605-313-5562 passcode, 293383.

We occasionally meet at Bar Louie, 15001 Potomac Town Place, Woodbridge,
22191, follow this weekly announcement to learn when we will be in person.

Richmond Chapter

Chapter meeting:    Fourth Monday of the month from 6:30-8:30 PM in the
assembly room of the Administrative Activities Building at VDBI, 401 Azalea
Ave. Richmond 23227.

Virtual Meeting Information:  Uses affiliate zoom.

Tidewater Chapter

Chapter meeting:    Third Saturday of the month from 2PM to 3:30PM

Virtual Meeting Information:
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/3661685508?pwd=a2RwY0o5TWVIa2xBbDBPSEJzL0l2QT09

Meeting ID: 366 168 5508
Passcode: 21211955
One tap mobile
 <tel:%20+13017158592,,3661685508#,,,,*21211955>
+13017158592,,3661685508#,,,,*21211955# US (Washington DC)

Dial by your location
        +1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)

Winchester Chapter

Chapter meeting:    Third Saturday of the month from 10 AM to 11:30 AM at
Sollenberger True Value Hardware, 832 Berryville Ave., Winchester, 22601.

Virtual Meeting Information: Uses Affiliate Zoom.

At-Large Chapter

Chapter meeting:   Third Tuesday of the month from 8 PM to 9 PM, August
through May, with a face to face reception held during state convention.

Designed to meet the needs of Virginians who do not live near a local
chapter.

Virtual Meeting Information:  Uses affiliate zoom.

Seniors Division

Chapter Meeting: Fourth Wednesday the month from 7 PM to 9 PM

Virtual information: Uses Affiliate's zoom

You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you
think! -A. A. Milner

Peace,

Jacki Bruce

RISE/Silver Bells Outreach Coordinator

 <mailto:jackibruce6 at gmail.com> mailto:jackibruce6 at gmail.com
 <tel:(757)291-1789> tel:(757)291-1789
 <http://www.nfb.org/> www.nfb.org
 <http://www.nfbv.org/> www.nfbv.org

together to help blind people live the lives they want