[NFBV-Announce] what's happening and zoom!

jackibruce6 at gmail.com jackibruce6 at gmail.com
Mon May 1 17:32:01 UTC 2023

Hey NFB Family and Friends,

Happy May! If April showers bring May flowers. What do May flowers bring?
Pilgrims! Stupid Dad jokes and an old one at that but I hope you smiled or
at least rolled your eyes and groaned. Be corny, have fun and smile.

Kudos Corner.

All are welcome to join us for our National Federation of the Blind of
Virginia Spring Board of Directors meeting in Falls Church Virginia on
Saturday, May 13 at the Westin Tysons Corner.

The board meeting is open to all and will include some special programming
in conjunction with a weekend retreat for our pre-employment transition
service (Project RISE) participants.

The NFBV Board Meeting will be from 1:00 PM - 4 PM

Location: Westin Tysons Corner
Birches Room
7801 Leesburg Pike
Falls Church, VA 22043

Box Lunch Fee: $15

Guest room and box lunch payments will be collected outside of the Birches
room between 11 AM and 1 PM.

Deadline for Box Lunch Request: Friday, May 5 at 5 PM

Questions? Please contact Tracy Soforenko: 202-285-4595, or
<mailto:tracy.soforenko at gmail.com> tracy.soforenko at gmail.com.

Friday, May 12

In addition to the project RISE programming on Friday evening, we are
working to plan a hands-on program and discussion for the Virginia
Association of Parents of Blind Children. More details to follow.

Saturday, May 13

1. Federation "Shark Tank" - Starting at 10:45 AM, to assist our Project
RISE participants in honing their marketing & communications skills, our
Project RISE participants will be presenting their pitch for a new product
or service. A set of Federation leaders will be tasked with serving as
virtual investors in these student ideas. We anticipate a fun and engaging
opportunity to observe our students as they pitch the possible.

2. National Federation of the Blind of Virginia board of directors meeting -
from 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM we will hold our board meeting which is open to all.
During the meeting, we will be sharing exciting updates about our work
together, providing details for our upcoming national & state conventions,
and discussing some changes that will impact our chapters and divisions.
These meetings are fast paced and engaging, and all are welcome. Since it is
a board meeting, there may be a few votes that are limited to voting board
delegates, but these are generally limited to just a few topics.

3. Please join us for this philosophy lunchtime discussion from 12Noon to
1:00 PM. A subsidized box lunch is available for those who register in
advance and pay for their lunch on site. While the costs for a boxed lunch
from the hotel has increased, we will be charging $15 for a boxed lunch.
This is a significant subsidy to our members. While we will have a means to
take credit cards, we strongly encourage you to bring $15 in cash to
expedite the payment process.

We're excited to see you! Please access the web form to lock in your spot at
what promises to be an excellent way to break from the routine!

https://nfbv.org/spring

Tracy Soforenko

President, National Federation of the Blind of Virginia

202 285-4595

Tracy.soforenko at gmail.com <mailto:Tracy.soforenko at gmail.com>

Spotlight On.

The Greater Alexandria Chapter wants to remind you about our MOSAIC &
MILKSHAKES "one-of-a-kind, totally unique,
roll-up-your-sleeves-and-get-creative event that will bring out the Picasso
in you-REALLY!"

This SUPER FANTABULOUS event is hosted by the Virginia Association of Blind
Students and the Greater Alexandria Chapter!

We have invited Carol Erickson, a stained glass motif extraordinaire, to
share her talents in designing and teaching the art of stained glass
creations to all of us!  A little information about our esteemed
artist-Carol holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Fine Arts.  She has been
working with stained glass for over 25 years and is an award-winning glass
artist.  She also works in mosaics and fused glass, and has been teaching
"Paint Nights" to all ages for 9 years.  Carol loves to share her creativity
and encourage exploration in all facets of art.  Her motto is:  Let your
creativity soar!

Here is how you can get in on this very AWESOME event!  (This event will be
limited to 20 participants.)