[NFBV-Announce] what's happening and zoom!

jackibruce6 at gmail.com jackibruce6 at gmail.com
Mon May 22 19:38:13 UTC 2023

Hey NFB Family and Friends,

I hope everyone enjoys the week and the beautiful weather! Please join one
of our chapter meetings or events this week.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: from Norma Crosby

Good morning everyone,

I have received several requests for information regarding what members who
utilized paratransit need to do if they wish to make an attempt at using the
service in Houston. I make no guarantees about how well the service will
treat them in terms of on-time performance. However, here is the information
people need if they wish to use paratransit while in Houston. as a point of
information, we do plan to provide information at the convention about bus
and train routes that people can use if they wish to leave the hotel and
venture out into the city. Bus travel is always my preferred method of
getting around, but I know that many people do you realize paratransit. Here
is the information.

If you have an active paratransitaccount with your local service, they will
need to fax your eligibility information to Metro and provide the requested
dates of service.  The fax number is 713-652-8924.  To check on the status,
you would need to call customer service at 713-225-0119 between the hours of
10am to 5pm Central To me weekdays.

Have a great Monday.

Norma Crosby, President

National Federation of the Blind of Texas

--

Norma Crosby, President
National Federation of the Blind of Texas
1600 E Highway 6, Suite 215
Alvin, TX 77511
(281) 968-7733

Kudos Corner.

Your NFBV Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committee is hosting an exciting
event on Wednesday, May 24th...

AMAZING KICK ASS MAMAS (AKA):

BLIND PARENTING WITH SPICE!  TAKE II

We will be hosting a segment during this event that features real questions
from moms out in Virginia, and anywhere this email reaches, who happen to be
blind!  If  you are a new-to-be mom or if you have twelve children, we want
your questions!

Ask anything!  About parenting and the unique challenges or gifts of being a
blind parent; the skill of juggling an infant in one hand, a toddler holding
the other hand...where does my white cane go!?  ANYTHING!

We would prefer that you audio record your question and send it to this
email, reneerome at yahoo.com <mailto:reneerome at yahoo.com>

If you prefer, you can type it out and send it to this email that way.

Please send in your questions, in whatever format you choose, no later than
Saturday, May 20th.

Look for our announcement in this week's NFBV Announce and plan to join us
on Wednesday, May 24th at 6:15 p.m.!

If you have any questions, please contact Renee Valdez, reneerome at yahoo.com
<mailto:reneerome at yahoo.com>  or 703-966-0836.

Spotlight On.

Hi everyone,

This is a friendly reminder that our Richmond chapter meeting will be today
, May 22, from 6:30 to 8:30 PM. As usual, we will be meeting in the assembly
room at VRCBVI. The address is 401 Azalea Ave., Richmond VA, 23227. We
strongly invite and encourage you to attend the meeting in person and ask
that you arrive a few minutes prior to 6:30 so we can let you in the
building and you can get seated. If you do need to attend via zoom, the
information is below. I will not be with you guys this month as I am out of
town, but you will be an excellent hands with first vice president, Jimmy
Morris and I'm sure you will have an excellent meeting!

Domonique

THE NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND

VIRGINIA AFFILIATE

DIVERSITY, EQUITY & INCLUSION COMMITTEE

Presents

 AMAZING KICK ASS MAMAS (AKA):

BLIND PARENTING WITH SPICE!  TAKE II

CALLING ALL BLIND MOMS AND MOMS-TO-BE!!

This is your month!  Happy Mother's Day!

COME HANG OUT WITH SOME VERY SPICY MOMS AND GET HOT TIPS!

You're in for a fun-filled, tell-all, on-the-wild-side kind of women's night
out-and it's on a Wednesday, too?

Featuring the SPICIEST of SPICY MAMAS:

LAKISHA HOLMES (TX)

DENNA LAMBERT (MD)

LISAMARIA MARTINEZ (LM) (CA)

TERRI RUPP (NV)

We've got Spin the Bottle, then, shake-it-up with Thought-Provoking Q&A,
Oprah Winfrey style!  And, do you remember Dear Abby?  Well, we've got Dear
Mamacita featuring real questions from moms everywhere in Virginia and
beyond, who happen to be blind!

It will be a night filled with TRUTH and LAUGHTER and BONDING through it
all!  We even have some pretty AWESOME DOOR PRIZES, too!

So, when is this amazing event, you ask?

Wednesday, May 24th

Here's how it works.

The ZOOM ROOM opens at 6:15 p.m. EDT for Pre-Registration.  If you want to
be entered to win one of the incredible DOOR PRIZES, be there at 6:15 p.m.
EDT, because Pre-registration closes at 6:30 p.m. EDT and no more names will
be entered after 6:30 p.m. EDT.

At 6:30 p.m. EDT, the festivities will begin and the Spicy Mamas will bear
all.truth, that is!

Oh!  Men, of the spicy variety or otherwise!  You are welcome too!

Here is the key to unlock this FANTABULOUS night of FUN:

Zoom Link

 https://us02web.zoom.us/j/3661685508?pwd=a2RwY0o5TWVIa2xBbDBPSEJzL0l2QT09

 Meeting ID: 366 168 5508

Passcode: 21211955

One tap mobile

+13017158592,,3661685508#,,,,*21211955# US (Washington DC)

 Dial by your location

        +1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)

PLESE CLEAR YOUR CALENDARS FOR WEDNESDAY, MAY 24TH, 6:15 P.M. TO 9:00 P.M.!

HOPE TO SEE YOU THERE!

Renee Valdez

(703) 966-0836

Good evening!

Our Seniors division meeting will be Wednesday, May 24, at 7:00 p.m. This
month, 64-Ounce Games will tell us about what exciting things are available,
and maybe about some new things that are coming. Are you game? Our Zoom link
will be below. But here's something else about fun you might be interested
in:

>From Judy Sanders, from our National Seniors Division:

Hello, all!

Everyone is welcome to our final senior conversation for 2023.

Meet Joyce Kane from Connecticut who is the creator of our Krafters
Division. She is truly a person who has not let blindness hold her back. She
will share her many talents that include making scarves and teaching others
her various skills.

She will also introduce us to the variety of classes that the division
offers.

You can access the event through our Free Conference call. See below!

WHEN: Tuesday, May 23

4 p.m. Eastern daylight time

For those with unlimited access to long distance calls there is no charge.

Here is the number:

716-427-1410

Patricia Droppers,

NFBV Seniors Division President

The Greater Williamsburg Chapter will be holding their chapter meeting on
Saturday, June 3rd from 1 thru 3 PM at the James City County Rec. Center,
5301 Long Hill Road, Williamsburg, 23188, as well as on our Affiliate's
Zoom.

Please join our members and our speaker, Tracy Soforenko, for the 2nd of two
Regional Membership Seminars. President Soforenko says" We've heard requests
to provide more information about what it means to be a member of the
National Federation of the Blind (NFB) and the NFB of Virginia.  We are
happy to have a forum to ask questions and learn more."

Our Potomac Chapter will meet via affiliate Zoom on Wednesday, June 14, 2023
from 7 to 9 pm. Our current plan is to alternate between in-person and Zoom
meetings so among the things we will be doing on June 14 is deciding whether
to meet in July. A more detailed agenda will be distributed closer to our
meeting date. All are welcome and I hope you will plan to join us. Zoom
information is below.

Sandy Halverson, President

Here's how to join our Affiliate's Zoom:

https://zoom.us/j/8297256345?pwd=SFAyamlQNU44ZTJ6dUZNMTV4RmhCQT09

One tap mobile

tell: +13017158592,,8297256345#

Telephone Dial: 1 (301) 715-8592

Meeting ID: 829 725 6345#

If needed the password is 20201940

Chapter Information:

Eastern Shore Chapter

Althea Pittman

Phone: 757-787-3853

E-mail: vaescil at gmail.com <mailto:vaescil at gmail.com>

Contact the chapter for current meeting times.

Chesapeake Bay Chapter

Chapter meeting:  Fourth Saturday from 11 AM to 1:30 PM, at the Gus and
George's Spaghetti and Steakhouse, 4312 Virginia Beach Blvd, Virginia Beach,
23452.

Virtual Meeting Information: None, in person only.

Fairfax Chapter

Chapter meeting:  Third Thursday from 7 to 8:30 PM, virtual meetings only.

Virtual Meeting Information: Uses the Affiliate's Zoom

Greater Alexandria Chapter

Chapter meeting:  Fourth Thursday of most months from 7 to 9pm.

Virtual Meeting Information:  Uses affiliate zoom.

Greater Williamsburg Chapter

Chapter meeting: First Saturday of each month

>From 1 to 3 PM at the James City Rec. Center,5301 Long Hill Road,
Williamsburg, 23188.

Virtual Meeting Information:

Peninsula Chapter

Chapter meeting:   Third Saturday of the month from 11:30 to 1 PM, My
Neighbor's Pub, 12743 Jefferson Avenue, Newport News, 23602.

Virtual Meeting Information:  Phone 605-475-4825 passcode, 549778#.

Potomac Chapter

Chapter meeting:     Second Wednesday of each month from 7 to 8:30 PM.

Virtual Meeting Information:

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/6025022255

Meeting ID: 602 502 2255

One tap mobile +13017158592,,6025022255 <tel:%20+13017158592,,6025022255>

Prince William Chapter

Chapter meeting:    Third Saturday of the month, from 2 to 3PM.

Virtual Meeting Information:   Phone 605-313-5562 passcode, 293383.

We occasionally meet at Bar Louie, 15001 Potomac Town Place, Woodbridge,
22191, follow this weekly announcement to learn when we will be in person.

Richmond Chapter

Chapter meeting:    Fourth Monday of the month from 6:30-8:30 PM in the
assembly room of the Administrative Activities Building at VDBI, 401 Azalea
Ave. Richmond 23227.

Virtual Meeting Information:  Uses affiliate zoom.

Tidewater Chapter

Chapter meeting:    Third Saturday of the month from 2PM to 3:30PM

Virtual Meeting Information:
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/3661685508?pwd=a2RwY0o5TWVIa2xBbDBPSEJzL0l2QT09

Meeting ID: 366 168 5508
Passcode: 21211955
One tap mobile
 <tel:%20+13017158592,,3661685508#,,,,*21211955>
+13017158592,,3661685508#,,,,*21211955# US (Washington DC)

Dial by your location
        +1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)

Winchester Chapter

Chapter meeting:    Third Saturday of the month from 10 AM to 11:30 AM at
Sollenberger True Value Hardware, 832 Berryville Ave., Winchester, 22601.

Virtual Meeting Information: Uses Affiliate Zoom.

At-Large Chapter

Chapter meeting:   Third Tuesday of the month from 8 PM to 9 PM, August
through May, with a face to face reception held during state convention.

Designed to meet the needs of Virginians who do not live near a local
chapter.

Virtual Meeting Information:  Uses affiliate zoom.

Seniors Division

Chapter Meeting: Fourth Wednesday the month from 7 PM to 9 PM

Virtual information: Uses Affiliate's zoom

You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it. -Margaret Thatcher

Peace,

Jacki Bruce

RISE/Silver Bells Outreach Coordinator

 <mailto:jackibruce6 at gmail.com> mailto:jackibruce6 at gmail.com
 <tel:(757)291-1789> tel:(757)291-1789
 <http://www.nfb.org/> www.nfb.org
 <http://www.nfbv.org/> www.nfbv.org

together to help blind people live the lives they want