[NFBV-Announce] NFBV23 Seniors Taking Charge: The 2023 NFB of Virginia Convention, November 2-5 in Williamsburg

tracy.soforenko at gmail.com tracy.soforenko at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 18:32:59 UTC 2023

Be the senior in charge of your life.

*	Are you feeling isolated from friends and family because of your
sight loss?
*	Have you stopped shopping because clothing and food labels are too
hard to read?
*	Does pouring liquids make you anxious because of the fear of
spilling or being burned by hot liquids?
*	Do you struggle to manage medications and monitoring your health
because you cannot read the blood pressure or other medical device output?
*	Is losing vision keeping you from enjoying the things you used to do
in your community?

Come to the National Federation of the Blind of Virginia state convention in
Williamsburg from November 2 to 5. Meet others like you who have adapted to
changes in their vision and learn how you can thrive.

While the complete draft agenda is attached, and a revised version will be
published in about 1 week, we have detailed some of the highlights for
seniors below.

Thursday, November 2

*	Silver Bells Reunion and Open House Dinner Please join us to learn
about our transformative senior empowerment programs. If you have never
attended Silver Bells, find out more about the program from past
participants. If you are one of our 120+ alumni, reconnect with alumni and
staff while   learning about upcoming training opportunities. Reconnect with
old friends and make new ones. Discover how our training will help you live
the life you want! Please make certain to include the Silver Bells dinner in
your registration because this meal has a separate charge.

Friday, November 3

*	General Session starts at 9:00 AM, and our opening ceremonies will
officially kick off this year's convention. Claim your seat early in case
you're among the first to claim a door prize!
*	Learn about Silver Bells and other programs for blind and low vision
seniors- During the morning session, you will hear from members of prior
Silver Bells classes and how they have extended their learning in
partnership with the Virginia Department for the Blind & Vision Impaired.
*	What We accomplish as a national organization Together - We're doing
great things in Virginia, but did you also know we're making a tremendous
impact across the country? Learn about our national accomplishments from our
national representative, Donald Porterfield, President. National Federation
of the Blind of Arizona.

Friday afternoon Seminars or tours: We are providing tempting choices on
Friday afternoon including:

*	An accessible tour of Colonial Williamsburg
*	Getting to your Destination: How Orientation & Mobility Techniques
and new Assistive Technology can help you along your journey.
*	Learn First Aid - Please consider our first aid class taught by
blind instructors who are certified to teach first aid. Learn the skills to
protect your family and your community. This class is limited to the first
20 class registrants who write to Christine Grassman cfgrassman at icloud.com
<mailto:cfgrassman at icloud.com> .
*	Exhibit Hall and Low Vision Resource Fair - Discover the latest in
emerging assistive technology! - Why read about interesting gadgets when you
could experience them? Why take our word for excellent services across
Virginia when you could talk directly to the people who offer them? This and
a lot more at our exhibit hall/Low Vision Resource Fair.

*	Friday Night Williamsburg Hospitality - Hey, who said seniors cannot
have fun? Immerse yourself in our evening celebration organized by our host
chapter. Let down your hair and join us for this energetic celebration!
*	Public Meeting on DBVI Divisions, Programs and Services - As one of
our key partners, it's always a pleasure to hear from senior members of the
Virginia DBVI leadership. Bring your questions and comments. Let your voice
be heard!

Saturday, November 4

*	Learn what is possible from various success stories as part of our
morning general session.
*	Meet DBVI Commissioner Mitchell - Come hear all about his plans and
vision for blind Virginians.
*	Seniors Division Workshop - Join fellow seniors for this exploration
of low vision and non-visual techniques including individual instruction and
demonstration of nonvisual methods to help you succeed in your kitchen,
manage your health, access information, and use accessible cell phones.
Learn Approaches to care for grandchildren and address safety concerns from
within our own families. Build your community of peers and positive role
models across Virginia.
*	Attend one of two accessible self-defense classes but you'll want to
register by emailing ngreenseed at gmail.com <mailto:ngreenseed at gmail.com>

*	Banquet - The Saturday Evening Banquet is a highlight of the
convention featuring an inspiring address from Donald Porterfield, President
of the National Federation of the Blind of Arizona,

Sunday, November 5

*	Federation Town Hall with Donald Porterfield and Tracy Soforenko
*	Participate in the work of our movement by helping us set policy.

The National Federation of the Blind of Virginia Convention combines
excellent networking with positive blind role models, fellowship with old
and new friends across the Commonwealth, and some of the best presentations
on topics important to the blind of Virginia.

You will want to act before October 12 to book your hotel reservation and
register for our convention registration and meals.

The complete agenda and details on convention registration and hotel
reservations can be found at:

https://nfbv.org/convention

Have questions? Call or text our seniors division president, Patty Droppers,
at 703-981-3363. Patty's email is pdroppers at ljpete.com
<mailto:pdroppers at ljpete.com>