[NFBV-Announce] Study: Improving Virtual Reality Accessibility for Blind and Low-Vision Users

tracy.soforenko at gmail.com tracy.soforenko at gmail.com
Sat Sep 2 19:36:05 UTC 2023

The below research study was reviewed by our national research review team. While the NFB plays no role in this study, we believe it could be beneficial.

Study: Improving Virtual Reality Accessibility for Blind and Low-Vision Users

Would you like to participate in a paid research study aimed at improving the accessibility of virtual reality?

The research team at the University of Maryland is investigating accessible approaches for making virtual reality more usable for blind and low-vision individuals through the use of haptics. We are recruiting people who are blind or have low vision and who are interested in, or have experience with, virtual reality. During the study, participants will have the opportunity to test a new prototype that applies haptic feedback to the back of the user's hand as cues in a virtual reality environment. Your feedback will greatly assist our research team in gaining a better understanding of the device and how to improve it for future use.

Time required: 90 to 120 minutes

Compensation: $30 USD per hour (Cash or gift cards)

Sign up now: https://forms.gle/jDaMoYy2g9VUqzs8A

For more information, visit our research website: https://sites.google.com/umd.edu/vraccessibility/home

Best,

Jiasheng Li