[NFBV-Announce] news you can use September 4th

jackibruce6 at gmail.com jackibruce6 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 4 18:14:22 UTC 2023

Hey NFB Family a and Friends,

Please read on and enjoy! Thank you everyone who has given me information for this email. Please keep them coming!

Career Opportunities…

Thank You Annette Carr for this information.

There is a position posted (rare!) in the State of Minnesota’s Office of Accessibility. It is for an Accessibility Analyst, which is an “ITS 3” position. The Office of Accessibility is part of the state’s IT department, working with all Executive Branch agencies, as well as others.

This link takes you to the LinkedIn posting <https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/3703985130/?eBP=JOB_SEARCH_ORGANIC&refId=kdz0m58AU8CKJzEIOetRIg%3D%3D&trackingId=TQ4%2BNZL0QEOTG2Z2%2BZyLvQ%3D%3D&trk=flagship3_search_srp_jobs&lipi=urn%3Ali%3Apage%3Ad_flagship3_search_srp_jobs%3BjT14qf6ERhG59msge0bIsw%3D%3D&lici=TQ4%2BNZL0QEOTG2Z2%2BZyLvQ%3D%3D>  about the position. This position is open to all qualified candidates

And, did you know that Minnesota has a Connect 700 program <https://mn.gov/mmb/careers/diverse-workforce/people-with-disabilities/connect700/> ? Some positions, like this one, can receive applicants for this program. “Connect 700 allows eligible individuals with disabilities the opportunity to demonstrate their ability to perform a specific position for up to 700 hours on the job. It is:

*	A pre-probationary trial work program
*	An alternative employment selection for individuals with certain disabilities seeking employment in the classified service of state government.”

Please share this posting with anyone you feel may be interested!

If you have questions about the position, contact Jennifer Hickey at jenny.hickey at state.mn.us <mailto:jenny.hickey at state.mn.us> . The job ID is 68649.

Wishing everyone a good week!

Jennie

Jennie Delisi, MA, Certified Professional in Web Accessibility (CPWA)

Enterprise Accessibility Operations Director | Office of Accessibility

Minnesota IT Services | Partners in Performance

658 Cedar Street

St. Paul, MN 55155

O: 651-201-1135

Information Technology for Minnesota Government |

Things to do and places to go…

Thank you Naim Muawia Abu-El Hawa for providing this information.

PS: Penny Forward is a 501(c)(3) compliant nonprofit educational organization.

Hi Naim,

I hope you had a great summer and are looking forward to a wonderful autumn full of pumpkin spice, cooler temperatures, and beautiful fall colors. I’m writing to you today because I’m excited to invite you to participate in Penny Forward’s upcoming Strategic Planning Summit. Since I founded Penny Forward in 2021, we’ve been dedicated to delivering comprehensive, affordable, and inclusive financial education programs to the blind community. Through our nonprofit model, we have successfully empowered over 100 clients to improve their financial well-being through online courses, group chats, one-on-one counseling, podcasts, and our user-friendly mobile app.

Now, as we embark on the next phase of our journey, we want your valuable input and insights to help shape our future initiatives. Your participation is crucial in continuing our mission of creating accessible and inclusive financial wellness education for the blind community.

What To Expect

Session 1

Build a Common Framework

Date: September 13

Time: 6:30-8:00 PM CT

During this session, we will establish a shared understanding by discussing the data we’ve gathered and exploring possibilities. Your direct feedback on our overall strategic framework will be invaluable in shaping our direction.

Session 2

Prioritize Actions

Date: September 20

Time: 6:30-8:00 PM CT

In this session, we’ll work together to achieve consensus on our strategic framework. We will brainstorm actionable steps aligned with our goals and prioritize these actions to ensure our success.

Session 3

Unveil and Implement

Date: September 27

Time: 6:30-8:00 PM CT

During our final session, we will unveil the outcomes of the summit and launch our implementation action teams. You’ll have the opportunity to witness firsthand how your contributions have transformed the community.

Register Now

Your unique perspective is essential to our success, so I’m asking you to register for the summit by visiting our Summit Registration form at  <https://www.pennyforward.com/sendpress/eyJpZCI6IjEwMTIiLCJyZXBvcnQiOiIyMDM4MSIsInZpZXciOiJ0cmFja2VyIiwidXJsIjoiaHR0cHM6XC9cL3d3dy5wZW5ueWZvcndhcmQuY29tXC9zdW1taXQtcmVnaXN0cmF0aW9uXC8ifQ/> https://www.pennyforward.com/summit-registration/. Please also  share this opportunity with your personal and professional network, as we aim to gather as many diverse viewpoints and ideas as possible to further enrich our strategic planning process.

Thank you for your continued support and commitment to advancing financial education for the blind community. Together, we can build a brighter and more inclusive financial future one penny at a time.

Warm regards,

Chris Peterson
President and CEO, Penny Forward
Blind People Building Bright Futures One Penny At A Time
Email:  <mailto:chris at pennyforward.com> chris at pennyforward.com
Phone: (888) 332-5558
 <https://www.pennyforward.com/sendpress/eyJpZCI6IjEwMTIiLCJyZXBvcnQiOiIyMDM4MSIsInZpZXciOiJ0cmFja2VyIiwidXJsIjoiaHR0cHM6XC9cL3d3dy5wZW5ueWZvcndhcmQuY29tXC8ifQ/> https://www.pennyforward.com

 <https://www.pennyforward.com/sendpress/eyJpZCI6IjEwMTIiLCJyZXBvcnQiOiIyMDM4MSIsInZpZXciOiJ0cmFja2VyIiwidXJsIjoiaHR0cHM6XC9cL3d3dy5mYWNlYm9vay5jb21cL3Blbm55ZndkXC8ifQ/>  <https://www.pennyforward.com/sendpress/eyJpZCI6IjEwMTIiLCJyZXBvcnQiOiIyMDM4MSIsInZpZXciOiJ0cmFja2VyIiwidXJsIjoiaHR0cHM6XC9cL3d3dy50d2l0dGVyLmNvbVwvcGVubnlmd2RcLyJ9/>  <https://www.pennyforward.com/sendpress/eyJpZCI6IjEwMTIiLCJyZXBvcnQiOiIyMDM4MSIsInZpZXciOiJ0cmFja2VyIiwidXJsIjoiaHR0cHM6XC9cL3d3dy55b3V0dWJlLmNvbVwvY2hhbm5lbFwvVUNnYy11RVpaNTY5WnZ2VXNjdV9VOUpRIn0/>

Is this email not displaying correctly?  <https://www.pennyforward.com/sendpress/eyJpZCI6IjEwMTIiLCJyZXBvcnQiOiIyMDM4MSIsInZpZXciOiJ0cmFja2VyIiwidXJsIjoiJTdCc3AtYnJvd3Nlci11cmwlN0QifQ/> View it in your browser

Thank you VDBI for providing this information.

Blind Soccer USA Virtual Scouting Event

USA Blind Soccer has launched their inaugural Virtual Scouting Combine. USA Blind Soccer is currently looking for athletes that may be interested in potentially being a part of our blind soccer pipeline with future potential in joining the national team. If this opportunity interests any athletes ages 17+, please fill out the survey link below.

 <https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/blindsoccerassessment?utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery> Survey

When you finish the survey, you will be emailed a link to a personal Dropbox folder where you will put videos of yourself doing assigned skills that will be watched and evaluated by our blind soccer coaching staff. Please visit the USABA website below or contact  <mailto:william.sutton at dbvi.virginia.gov> William Sutton, 804-554-1978, if you have any questions about any of this process.

 <https://www.usaba.org/usa-blind-soccer-virtual-scouting-combine/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery> USABA Site

Thank you Vienna and Reston VIP Groups for providing this information.

Penelope Helfgott is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: Low Vision Support Group Meeting

Time: Sep 12, 2023 11:30 AM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

        Every month on the Second Tue, until 5/14, 2024, 6 occurrence(s)

        Sep 12, 2023 11:30 AM

        Nov 14, 2023 11:30 AM

        Feb 13, 2024 11:30 AM

       Mar 12, 2024 11:30 AM

        Apr 9, 2024 11:30 AM

        May 14, 2024 11:30 AM

Monthly: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/tZAkd-2trD4qHdeSHwunTDG610tNBx5lNdaz/ics?icsToken=98tyKuGspzsuH9aQsB6ERpwIHYigLO_zpiVfgqdYrzfyFi5nRiSgZ7JWHJBnRdT-

Join Zoom Meeting

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/84904525073?pwd=RmZjOVhBK2pLWkJHYktabjlSZHBYQT09

Meeting ID: 849 0452 5073

Passcode: 079359

---

One tap mobile

+13052241968,,84904525073#,,,,*079359# US

+13092053325,,84904525073#,,,,*079359# US

---

Dial by your location

• +1 305 224 1968 US

Articles…

Thank you Franklin Riley for providing this information.

Lego will begin selling Braille Lego Blocks starting next month. Read on for the full article.

https://fortune.com/2023/08/24/lego-braille-bricks-on-sale-date-price/

Startup Develops a Smart Headband to Assist Blind Swimmers

EyeCan, an Israeli startup, has developed a smart headband to assist blind swimmers in navigating obstacles while swimming. This innovative device utilizes vibrations and bone conduction technology to provide real-time alerts and enhance the safety and confidence of visually impaired individuals in the pool.

How does the smart headband work to assist blind swimmers?

The smart headband developed by EyeCan is equipped with a camera that scans the pool’s bottom and the area in front of the swimmer. This data is processed by a dedicated processor at the back of the headband, which then sends alerts to two chips placed on either side of the swimmer’s head. These chips utilize bone conduction technology to send vibrations to the inner ear, alerting the swimmer in real time whenever they move away from the center of their lane or approach an obstacle.

What challenges do visually impaired swimmers face in the pool?

Visually impaired swimmers often struggle with disorientation, veering off their lane, and the risk of colliding with obstacles such as pool edges. Without a technological solution, they might rely on a person using a soft stick (tapper) to signal when they’re nearing the pool edge. This dependency diminishes their sense of independence and confidence while swimming.

What is the significance of the smart headband for blind swimmers?

The smart headband is a crucial advancement for blind and visually impaired swimmers, as it empowers them to swim independently without the need for external assistance. Nearly one third of the global population experiences vision complications, making this technology highly relevant. Unlike tappers, which are mainly used by Paralympic swimmers, the smart headband caters to both competitive and recreational swimmers, boosting their motivation and self-assurance.

How is EyeCan further developing the technology for blind swimmers?

EyeCan is refining its smart headband technology through two key approaches. Firstly, it trains the processor’s algorithm using wearable cameras on swimmers, analyzing the recorded videos to detect obstacles and lane deviations. Additionally, the company is working on a cameraless prototype to gather feedback on the device’s comfort and effectiveness from visually impaired swimmers.

The smart headband developed by EyeCan represents a significant breakthrough in aiding blind swimmers. By utilizing vibrations and bone conduction technology, this innovation not only enhances safety but also promotes independence and self-confidence for visually impaired individuals in the water. As EyeCan continues to refine its technology, it holds the potential to transform the swimming experience for a diverse range of individuals.

Source <https://www.eyecan.tech>

https://coolblindtech.com/startup-develops-a-smart-headband-to-assist-blind-swimmers/

     David Goldfield

Goods and services…

For over 90 years JBI (The Jewish Braille Institute) has provided people of all ages who are blind or print disabled with free braille, audio, and large print specific to Jewish and related interests.

They offer:

* 13,000 circulating audio books, braille titles and large print materials, including popular fiction, history, poetry, Jewish studies, memoirs, cookbooks, and more, and we are always adding more

* Free customized accessible materials on demand to help patrons participate fully in Jewish life and learning

* Accessible liturgical material, prayer books and Jewish calendars for all denominations

* Periodicals – our bi-monthly compilation of articles of broad Jewish interest from a variety of news sources, offered in English or Russian audio, or braille

* The JBI Audio Cultural Series offering concerts and lectures

* Jewish-themed twin-view children's books and kits of a print copy with large print or audio accompaniment

* Delivery of all materials by mail all over the world - available in English, Russian, Yiddish, Hebrew, Hungarian, Romanian, Polish, and Spanish!

Ahead of the upcoming Jewish High Holidays, they are making accessible Jewish calendars, prayer books and other materials available so that everyone who wants to can participate. Anyone can order free calendars and other High Holiday materials by clicking  <https://jbilibrary.org/highholidays> HERE ( <https://jbilibrary.org/highholidays> https://jbilibrary.org/highholidays).

Want to sign up for JBI? Register  <https://www.jbilibrary.org/register> here!  <https://www.jbilibrary.org/register> https://www.jbilibrary.org/register

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to:

Best,

Roslyn Biskin

RBiskin at jbilibrary.org <mailto:RBiskin at jbilibrary.org>

--

Jill Rothstein

Chief Librarian

Andrew Heiskell Braille and Talking Book Library

The New York Public Library

40 West 20th Street, New York, NY 10011

jillrothstein at nypl.org <mailto:jillrothstein at nypl.org>

talkingbooks.nypl.org <http://talkingbooks.nypl.org>

Tel. 212-621-0620

Peace,

Jacki Bruce

RISE/Silver Bells Outreach Coordinator

 <mailto:jackibruce6 at gmail.com> mailto:jackibruce6 at gmail.com
 <tel:(757)291-1789> tel:(757)291-1789
 <http://www.nfb.org/> www.nfb.org
 <http://www.nfbv.org/> www.nfbv.org

The National Federation of the Blind is a community of members and friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation’s blind. Every day we work together to help blind people live the lives they want