[NFBV-Blind-Parents] Blackboard and JAWS Zoom session on September 8th,

Patrick Johnson patrickjohnson1015 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 16:31:57 UTC 2020

Fellow Blind Parents,

Is one of your kids attending a school using Blackboard to manage
their  online school year?  If so, you may want to attend the
following session and learn how your JAWS screen reader can navigate
the system.

My daughter's school is using Google Classrooms, and I teach college
courses with Canvas and Moodle, so can not speak about the current
state of Blackboard accessibility.

If you attend, post your thoughts about the session to the group.  I
am curious to hear how the interface has changed.  15-20 years ago
Blackboard and JAWS did not play well together.

BITS, the special interest affiliate of the American Council of the
Blind for technology enthusiasts will be conducting a presentation
covering the accessibility of Blackboard. As this presentation is open
to the public I will paste the announcement below.

>From Earlene Hughes, President of BITS ..

Hello all,

I am sending this announcement to you on behalf of Tim Cumings
Presentations committee Chair.

This presentation is open to the public. We will be using the BITS
Chat meeting for this presentation.

I am pleased to announce the BITS Presentation: Accessible Navigating
With Blackboard, hosted by Betsey Doane.

Tuesday, September 8 2020:

Time: 08:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

>From Betsey Doane:

"Blackboard is a learning management system used in online courses all
over the country, mostly in colleges.  This presentation will
demonstrate the various
features of Blackboard and show how to efficiently navigate the large
screens.  If there is interest, I will include how mathematical
content is rendered
and show you how easy it is to present content to both blind and
sighted users alike in this software."

The BITS chat will convene following a short break.

How to Participate:

Join Zoom Meeting

https://zoom.us/j/781425635?pwd=cGhKMlZPQ1N6cmZyQ1BRSzV5QzFndz09

Meeting ID: 781 425 635

Password: 592190

One tap mobile

+16465588656,,781425635#,,#,592190# US (New York)

+13126266799,,781425635#,,#,592190# US (Chicago)

Dial by your location

+1 646 558 8656 US (New York)

+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)

+1 301 715 8592 US