[Nfbv-fairfax] Non-Visual Techniques: Choosing Happiness By Choosing Change

John Bailey john_bailey17 at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 6 01:08:45 UTC 2016

Non-Visual Techniques: Choosing Happiness By Choosing Change

by John Bailey

Alberto Salazar - 'If you want to achieve a high goal, you're going to have to take some chances.'

I really like this quote because it is so true.  Being a member of the NFB, I have lots of successful blind friends who would also agree with this quote. When life gives you challenges, you have a decision to make. It may not be a decision you like-- a decision never-the-less.

One of the biggest challenges the vision impaired have is staying with the idea of no matter what your visual acuity, you still choose to use your remaining vision to do things. This can be very frustrating when using your eyes is no longer the most effective way of operating.

For the formerly fully sighted person, when the frustration level goes high enough (people only choose to change under pressure)   they begin accepting alternative methods of getting stuff done.

For example, I have been legally blind since the age of 8. However, I didn’t start using a cane till I was 40. The transition from acting sighted to being a cane carrier took place because I reached the point where the pain of doing things visually was much worse than adopting non-visual techniques. I found myself a prisoner of my home because I could no longer travel safely with my remaining sight. However, that all changed when I learned how to travel confidently using the adaptive travel techniques of the NFB. I should have made the change years earlier. I am so much happier now that I no longer believe that alternative means inferior.

What in your life is making you miserable? Could you find relief by doing things in a non-visual way? Save yourself from continued bother by challenging yourself and visiting the Fairfax Chapter monthly meeting and learn what adaptive techniques can make your life a whole lot easier.

When you quote someone, the person you are quoting should be known by everyone. That’ what gives the quote its validity.

Alberto Salazar Is an American track-and-field athlete. To learn more about him, visit https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alberto_Salazar

The Fairfax Chapter of the National Federation of the blind meets regularly on the third Thursday of each month. Our meetings begin at 6:30 PM for dinner followed by entertaining and educational program topics of interest till 8:30 PM.

We meet at the Home of Fred and Cathy Schroeder. Their address is 9522 Lagersfield Circle, Vienna, VA 22181

Their phone number is (703) 319-9226.

Got more questions about the NFB or the Fairfax Chapter? Contact chapter President John Bailey at john_bailey17 at hotmail.com or via phone at 703.994.2040