[Nfbv-fairfax] Fairfax Chapter : goalball, motorcycles, rock climbing, movies, and more. Read all about it.

John Bailey john_bailey17 at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 27 16:32:00 UTC 2017

Next meeting Date: March 16, 2017
Meeting time: 6:30 PM (order dinner) till 8:30 PM
Meeting location: Fairfax Red Lobster, 10325 Fairfax Blvd, Fairfax, 22030

This Month's Meeting....
On Thursday, March 16, 2017, we will be having our next scheduled meeting at the Red Lobster located at 10325 Fairfax Blvd. We will be demonstrating how being vision-impaired doesn't have to impact participating in sports.

Carolena Garrison has arranged for representatives from the  Metro Washington Association of Blind Athletes to demonstrate how blindness needn't be a barrier to physical health and fun. They will discuss their programs like yoga and Goalball. This is the perfect opportunity for you to get the information you need to participate in a sport you will love.

At last month's meeting...
Rodney Neely, Annette Carr, and Joy Relton created an outstanding letter on behalf of the chapter informing Metro Access that their documentation sent out to their blind patrons is not accessible. By default, Metro Access creates no accessible documents unless it is explicitly requested by users of the service.

The letter crafted by the chapter leadership points out this problem and suggest several solutions as well as identifying several other areas where Metro Access can improve.

The letter was brought before our members at the February meeting where the letter was approved to be sent out to officials of the transportation service. We are currently compiling a list of officials and will be sending out the document soon. We will keep you updated on the response.

How about a movie night for vision-impaired teens?
Our newest chapter member Jay Burke working with  Annette Carr and Joy Relton are arranging a 'movie night' for vision impaired teens. The chapter was approached by Fairfax County teachers of the vision-impaired with a problem. They told us that students with partial vision have challenges in social situations. So, the chapter suggested that we get everyone together for a movie night where they can safely practice their social skills. The movie night will include: an audio described popular movie, popcorn, drinks, pizza, and lots of socializing. Now, this is the kind of activity the chapter is really good at arranging!

We are looking for chapter volunteers to help out at the meeting as well as being positive role models for the teens. The target date for the movie night is the evening of April 1. If you are interested in being part, email John Bailey at john_bailey17 at hotmail.com and we will keep you updated as arrangements are finalized.

Blind people and motorcycles. What could be more fun?
Larry Larson from the Fairfax Harley Owner's Group is working with the chapter to arrange another motorcycle ride around the city sometime during April on a weekend.

We had over 20 attendees last time who dawned their leathers and helmets for a grand tour of the city and a post tour lunch at a local restaurant. Everyone agreed that we must do it again and we will. And, there just might be room for you too!

As the date is finalized, I will be sending out an announcement and we will be taking names of people who wish to participate. We will have a lot more motorcycles this time and that means we will have more room for riders. Stay tuned.

Announcing plans for joint Winchester and Fairfax activities!
Chris Walker from the Winchester chapter and Carolena Garrison are planning several joint and fun activities for the spring and summer. For example, they are discussing returning to do rock climbing again. This activity was very popular last year and should be even more fun this time. Stay tuned.

The Fairfax Chapter meets its goal of membership growth!
At the last meeting, the Fairfax Chapter exceeded its membership goals for the year. In as few as two years, the chapter has increased its membership by over 500 percent. Our growth comes from our members telling their friends about how much they enjoy belonging to the Fairfax Chapter and inviting them to attend a meeting. That is all it takes. Our greatest membership growth tool is our own membership.

Want more information or have suggestions? Contact Fairfax Chapter President John Bailey via email at john_bailey17 at hotmail.com or via phone at 703.994.2040