[NFBV-Fairfax] Mark your calendar for the March meeting of the Fairfax Chapter of the NFBV, RSVP Required

amcarr1 at verizon.net amcarr1 at verizon.net
Mon Feb 24 02:42:32 UTC 2020

We are going on a field trip for our March Fairfax Chapter meeting!

We need your RSVP!!!

Join us on Thursday March 19, 2020 when we take our monthly Chapter meeting
on the road.

The Greenspring Community Low Vision Group will be hosting our meeting at
their Community Center.

We will be meeting at the Greenspring Community located at 7440 Spring
Village Drive, Springfield, VA 22150.  Besides making new friends, we will
have a dynamic presentation about what the Amazon Echo can do.  See the
presentation description below.

Because the Greenspring community is gated, we will have to submit a list of
all who are attending to their security office.  Information on how to get
through Security will be provided closer to the date of the meeting.  It
will be necessary for everyone who wants to attend this meeting to RSVP to
Rachel Schreiman, rachel.schreiman at gmail.com
<mailto:rachel.schreiman at gmail.com>

Let her know if you are joining us for dinner or just the meeting with an
RSVP by Sunday evening March 15 if you will be arranging your own
transportation.

We are looking into setting up a carpool, so we need to know who is
interested.  We are also looking into providing transportation from the
closest Metro Station.  If you are interested in arriving for dinner at
6:00pm and carpooling, Rachel will need to hear from you by Sunday March 8
to allow us time to work out the transportation logistics.

If you are able to help out with transportation, please let Rachel know by
March 8 or sooner.

We will gather at 6:00pm for those who want to purchase dinner at the
Greenspring Café prior to our meeting.  More details to follow.

If only attending the meeting, plan to arrive at 6:45pm so we can walk from
the main entrance to the meeting room.

Remember, RSVP no later than March 15.

We know that taking our Chapter meeting on the road is not the norm, but
this is an opportunity to introduce the Greenspring Low Vision Group and the
Greenspring Community in general to the NFB and help them understand that
blindness is not what defines us, and we are living the life we want.

Presentation Description:

Voice assistants such as the Amazon Echo known as Alexa, is finding its way
into many homes.  If you have not yet invited Alexa into your home, or you
have and you really do not know all that Alexa can do for you, then you do
not want to miss this presentation.  Our guest speaker, Paul Burden, Founder
of Our Voice, will introduce us to the world of voice assistants.  Devices
like the Amazon Echo can be life changing for those who are blind and with
low vision.  There is no complicated technology to learn or update, all you
need is your voice.  Examples of what Alexa can do includes reading books to
you, do your shopping, place and receive phone calls, send voice and text
messages, play your favorite music, alert family and friends in emergencies,
and much More.

Annette Carr

President, Fairfax Chapter

National Federation of the Blind