[NFBV-Fairfax] Metro Washington Association of blind athletes: check out interview with MWABA member Kurt Sloop on local radio show, plus come out to goalball practice tomorrow and yoga next Sunday

amcarr1 at verizon.net amcarr1 at verizon.net
Fri Jan 24 21:12:52 UTC 2020

A message from Karla Gilbride, metro Washington Association of blind athletes (MWABA):

Hi all,

There’s exciting news to report this week on the local media front. On Wednesday the Koho Nnamdi show, which airs on the DC area’s public radio station, WAMU, devoted its one-hour program to the topic of playing sports as a person who’s blind or visually impaired. Local athletes discussed playing goalball, running with Achilles International, and being part of DC’s blind hockey team. The Out of Sight dragons dragonboat racing team also got a shout-out! Several MWABA members contributed to the program, including an extended interview with our very own Kurt Sloop. You can listen to the show here: https://thekojonnamdishow.org/shows/2020-01-22/playing-sports-with-vision-loss.

Speaking of goalball, there will be practice this Saturday, January 25, at the Columbia Heights Community Center from 10 AM-1 PM. Hope you can join us!

And next weekend, in addition to goalball practice on Saturday, we will also have our monthly yoga class at Willow Street Yoga in Silver Spring on Sunday, February 2, from 3:15-4:45. Please mark your calendars!

That’s all for this edition of the newsletter. Until next time, have fun and stay active!

Karla