[Nfbv-historic-fredericksburg] Trying Again

Hollis Frisch hollisfrisch at verizon.net
Wed Dec 9 10:03:41 UTC 2015

I do not think this message went through the first time since I have not
received my copy.  Therefore, I am trying again.

There will be no gift exchange at our holiday dinner next week.  Instead,
please bring a gift for a veteran who is blind.  There are four of them
living in the nursing home which is part of the Veterans hospital in
Richmond.  Three of them are men, and one is a lady.  Some of them are
diabetic.  Two of them, including g the lady, are blind d as a result of
traumatic brain injuries.  I am urging everyone, in the strongest possible
terms, to find a meaningful way to contribute to this effort.  It can be
something as small as one pair of tube sox.  A whole family, or group of
members, can get together and purchase something like a package of tube
socks if they come that way, or a lap robe.  Other gifts the visual
impairment coordinator suggest are hats, scarves and slipper socks.  Roy
Murphy is traveling to the hospital December 22 and has agreed to transport
our gifts as well as get them to the visual impairment coordinator.

The coordinator advised me there is a veteran here in Fredericksburg who is
blind.  He is still adjusting to his blindness, but has started attending
activities with a female veteran friend.  Soon, she thinks, he will be ready
for and appreciative of some attention from us, especially informal friendly
visits.  I hope we can start these visits shortly after the beginning of the
new year.