[Nfbv-historic-fredericksburg] Monthly Chapter Meeting

Holly Frisch Holly at volunteersfortheblind.org
Fri Jul 14 02:52:34 UTC 2017

Our next chapter meeting will be Saturday, July 22 at 10:00 in the Central Rappahannock Regional Library at 1201 Caroline Street.  Our highly distinguished and well loved guest speaker is Ramie Rabby from Tel Aviv, Israel.  Many years ago, it required an official act of Congress to compel the Department of State to consider people who were blind for employment as foreign service officers.  Ramie was one of the first two successful candidates.  Every summer, he travels to the United States to attend the annual NFB convention.  Before returning to Israel, he accepted our invitation to spend a weekend in Fredericksburg and share his international experiences with us.  Among other topics, he will tell us what preparation is required of anyone seriously considering a career as a foreign service officer, his experiences applying for such a position, what it is like for people who are blind and travel internationally, as well as what life is like for people who are blind living in Israel.

Our meeting will also include reports from our chapter members who attended the convention in Orlando-Michael Kasey, Mark Ross, Andrea Perry, Bernie Werwie as well as his son Will.  In addition, we will draw the winner of our raffle prize donated by the Courtyard Marriott, a one night stay for two.  Raffle tickets are $5.  They are available by contacting Roy Murphy or me before the July 22 meeting.  We will also have raffle tickets available for purchase that morning before the drawing.  The winner is not required to be present.

Our meeting room at the library accommodates 25 people at most.  We will not be permitted to overload that room, so please arrive early.  Once the room is filled to capacity, the security guard will not allow any more people to enter.    After the meeting, we can select a nearby restaurant to have lunch with Ramie. Please  contact me with any questions.