[Nfbv-historic-fredericksburg] Picnic Update

Holly Frisch Holly at volunteersfortheblind.org
Fri May 19 12:42:22 UTC 2017

Our chapter picnic is tomorrow in shelter 1 at Old Mill Park from 3:00 to 7:00.  I was required to make a $100 security deposit which I will not get back unless the area is entirely clean when we leave.  That means the grill must be completely clean and no trash whatsoever remains in our area.

Our shelter not only has electricity but a grill to cook the hot dogs and hamburgers the treasury purchased.  Hank Silverberg generously volunteered to be in charge of grilling.  The treasury also purchased charcoal, kitchen matches, lighter fluid, paper products, plastic utensils as well as hot dog and hamburger buns.

Everyone is free to bring food of his or her choice and invited to bring something to share with everyone.  So far, shared items include rolls, two batches of brownies, chips, dip, potato salad, a bucket of Kentucky Fried Chicken and French fries.  Cups are available, but each person should bring something non-alcoholic of his or her choice to drink.  Park rules prohibit alcoholic beverages.  Well behaved dogs on leashes are welcome, provided they do not go to the bathroom in the shelter.

We need all participants to be actively involved in at least one of three ways.  They can bring something from which the entire group can benefit, for example, ice to keep the drinks cold or a food item to share.  They can help make certain the area is entirely clean when we leave.  If they cannot do either of these, they can make a donation to the chapter treasury to help cover the cost of the above mentioned items purchased for the picnic.  There will not be a full scale  formal meeting.  However, tickets might be available for the chapter raffle of a one night stay at the Marriott for two people.  The suggestion has been for us to draw the raffle winner at our July meeting..  I will make every possible effort to have times, dates and locations tomorrow for the  meetings for the next several months through November.  Weather predictions are favorable for our picnic tomorrow.  Everyone is wanted, welcome and invited.