[Nfbv-historic-fredericksburg] Thank You!

Holly Frisch Holly at volunteersfortheblind.org
Sat Apr 21 21:44:01 UTC 2018

I want to try to thank everyone who helped, in one way or another, with our walk.  If I omit anyone, it is not deliberate. The only order in which I want to express my profound appreciation and gratitude is that in which the names come to me.  Everyone's contribution, each in its own way, is equally meaningful and important.

First, I want to thank Michael Kasey who, at the eleventh hour, graciously took charge.  Had my life depended on it, I could not have projected my voice, let alone got through any remarks without subjecting everyone to coughing fits. Within an amazingly short time, he also successfully invited the vice mayor to be our dignitary.

Second, I want to thank Laurie Wages.  In addition to all the other duties her family perform for this activity each year, she expanded Team Hannah to include 40 friends!  It is all about spreading the awareness, she pointed out.

Third, I want to thank Roy Murphy for personally collecting 25 gift certificates and two raffle prizes.  That required considerable physical energy, organization, diplomacy and persistence.    This year, he did not have either his usual transportation resource or other people to accompany him He rearranged numerous commitments and made it clear he was willing to do whatever necessary to get the job done.

Fourth, I want to thank Sandy Ferris.  She provided some transportation and company for Roy on several of his certificate collection trips.

Fifth, I want to thank Juta Jordan for posting our walk on her face book page.  That provided some greatly needed and appreciated publicity.

Sixth, I want to thank Traci Jones for contacting the _Fredericksburg Freelance Star_.  She would have done even more if she had not ended up in the intensive care unit on a respirator.

Seventh, I want to thank Jody Silverberg for bringing a very special door prize from her own commercial kitchen-two dozen home baked cookies.

Eighth, I want to thank Jessie Walensky for soliciting donations from his coworkers at the National Archives.  This morning he was there early, ready and willing to do everything he could to help.

Ninth,  I want to thank Leon and Maria.  We really needed not only our treasurer, but his 100% reliable transportation source to get him safely home with all our donations.
Tenth, I want to thank the Ehrmanns.  At least four of them were there to walk after having collected numerous donations in advance. Eleventh,  I want to thank Cathy from the Spotsylvania Lions.  When I told her about the walk, she promised not only to come, but to try to bring others.  She brought a very nice lady.  In addition, she offered to be a walking partner if anyone wanted that assistance.

Finally, I want to thank everyone who came, and/or participated actively in some meaningful way.  This is a chapter event.  No man, woman or child is an island.  None of us single handedly can make this event a success but, working together as the magnificent Historic Fredericksburg chapter, we can!

I have a question for all of us to consider.  It is just a question, nothing which should cause strife or discontent.  As much as everyone loves our walk exactly the way it is, I have a major concern each year-inclement weather.  I know we don't melt just because it is hot, cold, windy or wet.  Sometimes, however, there are weather condition in which it is not always wise to walk.

I suggest we consider one or two possibilities.  One would be to have a rain date and include it on our literature.  The other would be to explore the possibility of a slightly different walk.  What would everyone think of walking through the Spotsylvania Mall?  That would eliminate the inclement weather problem and introduce us to a different group of merchants.  We don't have to do this.  After all, to plagiarize an old quotation, if it isn't broke, don't fix it.  What I would not want to have happen would be the necessity to return all the gift certificates and donations if weather made it unsafe to walk our usual route.  Last Sunday afternoon, for example, we would not have wanted to walk during the tornados in Lynchburg.  We have an entire year to decide.  Regardless of what we decide, there is no fear of doing away with our walk.  Admittedly, I considered that seriously a few years ago.  The whole chapter helped, and that walk was successful, but that is not what I will always remember most vividly.  As I left, two ladies I do not know were conversing.  "That was fun," one of them said.  "Let's do it again."  Long live our Walk With the Blind!