[Nfbv-historic-fredericksburg] FW: Notes on Chapter vs Affiliate Responsibilities

Holly Frisch Holly at volunteersfortheblind.org
Fri May 18 15:41:58 UTC 2018

We will be discussing this starting tomorrow morning during our chapter meeting.  Each of you, please read this carefully and be prepared to make an individual personal  commitment which responsibilities you are willing to accept.  This is not a volunteer request.  In order for us to fulfill our responsibilities as the host chapter, absolutely every single person must actively participate by accepting at least one responsibility.  This does not mean accomplishing a task single handed.  Instead, it means making a commitment to be part of a small group, team or committee, and following through!  If you do not attend tomorrow's meeting, please call or email me your commitments.    Being the host chapter for our state convention is an honor and a privilege.  We have had this opportunity previously, under Michael's leadership, and done an outstanding job.  Please help us continue this tradition.1.       Volunteer coordination - Similar to Ambassadors at national convention

2.       Registration / Logistics Support - Staffing for Registration on site at property (to support Sandy Halverson and Mark Roane)

3.       Social / Hospitality - Arranging for the Friday evening hospitality event, identifying local restaurants to share with members in advance so they have a list of options, working with the hotel to get the hotel menus in Braille and large print, arranging for entertainment for the pre and post banquet events.  Some state conventions have had before or after  banquet entertainment such as piano player.

4.       Door Prizes - Organizing and obtaining Door Prizes, working the door prizes at the state convention, tracking payment to support Mark

5.       Marketing and communications - For the past few years, we have worked with the host chapter to develop a communications plan that includes reaching out to local organizations. Local centers for independent living, local resources such as Lions Clubs, and other organizations where we can connect with potential members or others who might find the convention valuable. This team would also help for Friday morning set up and identifying who gets which tables. This role ensures that those who need power or other services at their table get the services they need. During board meeting, the exhibits team helps vendors get set up. After exhibits, this team helps the exhibitors get packed up and cleaned up.

6.       Friday programs, activities, and Seminars - The chapter and the affiliate should work together to develop a set of  seminars and activities for Friday afternoon. You mentioned some seminar ideas. Some members might like a bus tour or other activity. I recommend you have a team to focus on this topic.

7.       Opening Ceremonies- Arranging and Greeting special Guests, arranging for Friday Morning Events.  On Friday Morning, the chapter drives the opening ceremonies. Opening Ceremonies generally include:

a.       Special opening session entertainment such as singers, comedians, dramatic reading, etc

b.      Color Guard for presentation of colors (boy Scouts, military or ROTC, etc.)

c.       Singer for National Anthem

d.      Local politician to greet such as Mayor or city council leader.

8. Transit guide to provide directions on how to get to the property from train or bus stations.
Tracy Soforenko
President, National Federation of the Blind of Virginia
202 285-4595
Tracy.soforenko at gmail.com<mailto:Tracy.soforenko at gmail.com>
www.nfb.org<http://www.nfb.org>
www.nfbv.org<http://www.nfbv.org>
National Federation of the Blind. Live the Life You Want
The National Federation of the Blind is a community of members and friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation's blind. Every day we work together to help blind people live the lives they want.