[NFBV-Historic-Fredericksburg] Crier March 30

rtbyrne at aol.com rtbyrne at aol.com
Mon Mar 30 03:41:30 UTC 2020

DERICKSBURG CRIER March 29

Hello again. I hope that we will actually be able to meetface to face in the not too distant future but that does not look toopromising. In the meantime I will try to share books and information as I comeacross it.

     Today I want toshare a potential voting problem in the city of Fredericksburg. Michael Kaseywas informed that Fredericksburg is considering sending out paper ballots toeligible voters who would fill them out and return them. Michael feels thiswould mean that a blind voter would need help and the vote would not be secret.At his urging, the question is being referred to the state NFB for guidance.

     In the Crier, Isuggested a different kind of detective.

Before I introduce him, I might explain why I enjoyed him. Ienjoy many genres growing up and still do today. My choices ranged fromhistoric fictional novels about things from the Spanish against the Aztec and Incato Polynesian islanders to settlers and Indians. In addition to the history, Iloved Science Fiction and Fantasy. I have read authors like Asimov, Heinlein,Clarke Zelazny, and Norton since elementary school. As an adult, I still enjoySciFi and Fantasy. This brings me to the next author and character I amhighlighting.

     Jim Butcher wentto Oklahoma for college and began writing there. He wrote some short storiesand began a series of novels called The Dresden Files. Dresden was the onlywizard detective in the Chicago phonebook. The first book is called StormFront. In it we learn about some of Harry Dresden’s background. We also meet afemale Chicago detective who plays a part in his adventures. We also meet asort of wizard cop who tries to enforce the laws that govern wizards. We alsomeet his sort of sidekick and guide in some ways.

     Besides magic,the books also get into legends and lore about fantastic creatures. There are elves,leprecauns, mythic monsters, ancient gods, vampires, and other creatures. Thebrothers Grimm, Greek, Roman, and Norse mythology all appear. The books are a realride through human myths.

     One more thing.The reader of the books on Audible is James Marsters. If you watched Buffy theVampire Slayer series on TV, you might remember James Marsters. He played theBritish vampire, Spike. You might think he is English but he is American. Hedoes a great job with all the voices needed in the books.

     Dresden is a wildride. You might get a kick out of his service dog.In one book he puts a servicecape to allow him to get in a railroad station to meet some one. You will likehis dog. You might think he could be a heck of a guide dog.

Stay safe