[NFBV-Historic-Fredericksburg] Helen Keller Special Broadcast

rtbyrne at aol.com rtbyrne at aol.com
Wed Oct 20 16:39:05 UTC 2021

Historic Fredericksburg CRIER, October 20th

     Howdy and welcometo a very special CRIER.  We all knowmuch of the history of the development of teaching things like Braille andevery day actions to blind individuals. One of the most famous people in our historywas Helen Keller.  As you know, she wasnot only blind but also deaf.  The storyof how she became able to communicate with the rest of the world is not onlyamazing, but very, very important.  Ibelieve we all have some knowledge of her progression, but PBS just did aspecial on her.

On Tuesday night, American Masters retold her story –Becoming Helen Keller. I happened to trip over the program partly through it,but I wanted to see the whole show.  Itwill be repeated on PBS on Saturday and Sunday, October 23rd and 24th.  Sue and I watched it on Richmond PBS, but I’msure it was also shown on Washington, DC PBS. It is a piece of history that isvery important to us.  Because of HelenKeller’s breakthrough to the whole world we have all been enriched. I stronglyurge you to watch it if you didn’t see it already. We all have much to thankher for and we need to know all we can. In a way, she helped to lead us out ofdarkness. Her contributions to the modern way of educating and interacting withour blind community cannot be overestimated. It is kind of fitting that this program coincides with Virginia’s StateConvention. I truly hope you enjoy the program.

Dick Byrne

rtbyrne at aol.com

804-238-5608