[Nfbv-potomac-announce] FW: [Nfbnet-members-list] National Federation of the Blind and Blind Student Reach Agreement with Wichita State University

John Halverson johnh50 at verizon.net
Wed Aug 17 10:51:04 UTC 2016

Good Morning,

FYI.

John

From: NFBNet-Members-List [mailto:nfbnet-members-list-bounces at nfbnet.org] On
Behalf Of Danielsen, Chris via NFBNet-Members-List
Sent: Tuesday, August 16, 2016 4:56 PM
To: nfbnet-members-list at nfbnet.org
Subject: [Nfbnet-members-list] National Federation of the Blind and Blind
Student Reach Agreement with Wichita State University

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:
Chris Danielsen
Director of Public Relations
National Federation of the Blind
(410) 659-9314, extension 2330
(410) 262-1281 (Cell)
cdanielsen at nfb.org <mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>

Tony Vizzini
Provost and Senior Vice President
Wichita State University
316-978-3010
Tony.vizzini at wichita.edu <mailto:Tony.vizzini at wichita.edu>

National Federation of the Blind and Blind Student Reach Agreement with
Wichita State University
WSU to Make Materials and Technology Accessible to Blind Students

Wichita, Kansas (August 16, 2016): The National Federation of the Blind
<http://www.nfb.org/>  and Emily Schlenker, a blind student, have entered
into an agreement with Wichita State University (WSU) to improve
opportunities for blind students attending WSU.

The agreement resolves concerns raised by Ms. Schlenker with faculty and
staff at the university and with the National Federation of the Blind. Under
the agreement, WSU will take steps voluntarily over the next several years
to improve the educational experience of blind students, ensuring they
receive the opportunities provided to all students. Some steps being taken
by WSU, with the assistance of the National Federation of the Blind,
include:

*	hiring or designating an accessibility coordinator;
*	conducting a technology audit and, based on the audit results,
developing a plan to make student-facing electronic and information
technology used by WSU accessible to blind students;
*	making WSU's website and web interface to student and library
information systems, as well as online forms, accessible to blind students;
*	developing and implementing a plan to provide accessible
instructional materials, including textbooks, course materials, and tactile
graphics, to blind students at the same time that these materials are made
available to other students;
*	having WSU staff and faculty respond in a timely way to
accommodation requests made by blind students;
*	reviewing and revising, if needed, WSU's policies and procedures for
accommodating students with disabilities and for processing and resolving
grievances brought by blind students; and
*	having training of all Instructors and appropriate administrators as
determined by WSU on WSU's policies for accommodating blind students, as
well as training for such students on their rights and the procedures
available to them to enforce those rights.

Mark A. Riccobono, President of the National Federation of the Blind, said:
"We commend Wichita State University for acting quickly to resolve the
concerns that Ms. Schlenker and the National Federation of the Blind raised,
and for WSU's willingness to adopt a comprehensive, systemic approach to
ensuring that all of its students, including the blind, receive an equal
education. The National Federation of the Blind looks forward to providing
our experience and expertise to WSU as this institution's dedicated faculty
and staff work toward a fully inclusive educational environment."

Tony Vizzini, Provost and Senior Vice President of WSU said: "We want every
student of ours to be successful and contribute to society. WSU appreciates
Ms. Schlenker raising these concerns on behalf of herself and similarly
situated students. We are excited to be working with the National Federation
of the Blind to enhance the educational experiences of our blind and
visually impaired students."

###

blindness is not what holds you back.

Christopher S. Danielsen, J.D.
Director of Public Relations
National Federation of the Blind
200 East Wells Street
Baltimore, MD 21230
Office: (410) 659-9314, extension 2330
Mobile: (410) 262-1281
Email: cdanielsen at nfb.org <mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>
Twitter: @rlawyer and @NFB_Voice

blindness is not what holds you back.

We are celebrating our 75th year and planning for the future we will build
together!
Make your contribution
<https://nfb.org/civicrm/contribute/transact?reset=1&id=1>  to that future
now.