[NFBV-Potomac-Announce] FW: Participants needed for augmented reality magnification research at the University of Maryland, College Park

John Halverson jwh100 at outlook.com
Tue Apr 3 14:21:34 UTC 2018

FYI

John

From: Tracy Soforenko [mailto:tracy.soforenko at gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, April 2, 2018 2:51 PM
To: patnaude.sarah at yahoo.com
Cc: John halverson <jwh100 at outlook.com>
Subject: Fwd: Participants needed for augmented reality magnification research at the University of Maryland, College Park

Sara – please put this out on the ‘NFB of Virginia announce. John – please provide this to the Potomac list.
Tracy Soforenko
Tracy.soforenko at gmail.com<mailto:Tracy.soforenko at gmail.com>
202-285-4595

Begin forwarded message:
From: "Blake, Lou Ann" <LBlake at nfb.org<mailto:LBlake at nfb.org>>
Date: April 2, 2018 at 1:17:36 PM EDT
To: "State President, Virginia" <tracy.soforenko at gmail.com<mailto:tracy.soforenko at gmail.com>>
Hello Tracy,

I would appreciate it if you could post the below announcement to the NFB of Virginia and Potomac Chapter email lists. This research has been approved by our research advisory council. Thank you very much!

Best regards,

Lou Ann

The below research participant solicitation is being provided for informational purposes only. The National Federation of the Blind has no involvement in this research, but we believe that it may contribute to our research mission.

Greetings!

Our research team at the Human-Computer Interaction Lab at the University of Maryland is studying how to make printed materials more accessible using augmented reality magnification.

We are recruiting participants who are visually impaired and who use a magnification aid (e.g., hand-held or CCTV magnifier) at least some of the time, and who typically do not use a screenreader with smartphones or computers. All participants must be 18 years or older.

You will be asked to complete tasks with a smartphone, and with wearable computing devices. The tasks will be typical of daily activities, such as reading books, mail, or other printed documents. We are also collecting basic demographic information and feedback on the wearable devices.

This study will be two hours long and will be conducted at our lab on the University of Maryland, College Park campus. In some cases, we may be able to arrange a location that is more convenient to you. We will compensate you $30 for your time plus an extra $30 to help cover travel costs if the session is at a location you do not normally visit. You may choose to quit the study at any time.

You can visit the study website to learn more: https://terpconnect.umd.edu/~lstearns/studies/ar-magnification/. If you have any questions or would like to sign up, please contact us by email at lstearns at umd.edu<mailto:lstearns at umd.edu> or by phone at 240-472-1030<tel:(240)%20472-1030>.

Sincerely,
Lee Stearns, MS
Department of Computer Science, Human-Computer Interaction Lab
University of Maryland, College Park
Email: lstearns at umd.edu<mailto:lstearns at umd.edu>, Phone: 240-472-1030<tel:(240)%20472-1030>
Study website: https://terpconnect.umd.edu/~lstearns/studies/ar-magnification/

Lou Ann Blake, J.D.
Deputy Executive Director, Jernigan Institute
200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230
(410) 659-9314, extension 2221| lblake at nfb.org<mailto:lblake at nfb.org>

[National Federation of the Blind]<https://nfb.org/>

                         [Facebook] <http://www.facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind>     [Twitter] <https://twitter.com/NFB_Voice>     [Youtube] <https://www.youtube.com/NationsBlind>