[NFBV-Potomac-Announce] 2018-2019 Book Club

John Halverson jwh100 at outlook.com
Tue Sep 11 19:56:45 UTC 2018

Hello Book Club Readers and others who I hope may join us,

Attached, and in the body of this email is the book list and names of discussion leaders for this year.  If anyone would like to take a book for one of the sessions where the leader is on their second book of the year, let me know.

We  have changed the meeting date to the first Wednesday of the month.

Remember that those who wish to do so, may order dinner from a delivery restaurant.  We send out the menu a few days before each meeting.

We often meet at our home and sometimes at Nancy's.  If anyone else wants to host, let me know.

See the list below and attached.

John

Attachment and below

Everything I Never Told You
By Celeste Ng
DB80393 ((c) 2014)
Reading time: 9 hours 15 minutes

Examines the secrets of the Chinese-American Lee family before, and immediately after the 1977 drowning death of their middle child-high school sophomore Lydia. History professor James, and his wife Marilyn, whose medical school plans were aborted by pregnancy, had high hopes for her. Some strong language and some  descriptions of sex.

Questions: yes, Patty, October 3.

The devil in the white city: murder, magic, and madness at the fair that changed America DB55748
Larson, Erik. Reading time: 13 hours, 25 minutes.
Read by Bruce Huntey.

True Crime
Bestsellers
U.S. History

The author of Isaac's Storm (RC 48811) traces the crimes of Dr. H.H. Holmes, a serial killer who preyed on young women during the 1893 Chicago World's Fair in the amazing landscape that architect Daniel H. Burnham created in a mere two years. Bestseller. 2003. fair

questions: yes, john, November 7.

The Underground Railroad DB85212
Whitehead, Colson. Reading time: 10 hours, 45 minutes.
Read by Bahni Turpin.

Historical Fiction

Cora, a third-generation slave, flees the plantation where she lives. She escapes with a man who claims to know how to get to the Underground Railroad. Once there, she discovers it is an actual railroad, and every stop shows her moments of horror and joy. Unrated. Commercial audiobook. 2016.

Questions: yes, Nancy, December 5.

Lyndon Johnson and the American dream DB09793
Goodwin, Doris Kearns. Reading time: 17 hours, 25 minutes.
Read by Helen Harrelson.

U.S. History

Penetrating biography of the late president, based on interviews taken during the last five years of his life. Highlights Johnson's thoughts and personal life and offers insights into the American political system. Some strong language.

Questions: I think we have them, but can not locate. Carl, January 2.

The sun does shine: how I found life and freedom on death row DB90904
Hinton, Anthony Ray; Hardin, Lara Love; Stevenson, Bryan. Reading time: 9 hours, 13 minutes.
Read by Kevin R. Free.

Biography
True Crime

Alabama, 1985. After being wrongfully convicted of murder, the author spent his first three years on Holman State Prison's death row, full of despair and anger. But once Hinton accepted his fate, he spent the next twenty-seven years transforming his and his fellow inmates' spirits, until winning his release in 2015. Unrated. Commercial audiobook. 2018.

Questions: yes, Sandy, February 6.

A gentleman in Moscow: a novel DB85533
Towles, Amor. Reading time: 17 hours, 55 minutes.
Read by Nicholas Guy Smith.

Historical Fiction
Political Fiction

1922. Count Alexander Rostov has been judged by a Bolshevik tribunal and found to be an unrepentant aristocrat. Sentenced to house arrest for life, he joins the community in the luxurious Hotel Metropol. He tries to enjoy life and befriends a young girl who wants to be a princess. Descriptions of sex. Commercial audiobook. 2016.

Questions: yes, Wanda, March 6.

Dead wake: the last crossing of the Lusitania DB80936
Larson, Erik. Reading time: 13 hours, 6 minutes.
Read by Scott Brick.

War and the Military
World History and Affairs

In 1915 the Lusitania, a luxury ocean liner, left New York for Liverpool. The captain assumed that the Germans would follow gentlemanly strictures of warfare, keeping civilian ships safe from attack. Larson recounts what happened when Germany violated that code and that choice's wider repercussions. Violence. Commercial audiobook. 2015.

Questions: yes, John, April 3.

The light between oceans: a novel DB75192
Stedman, M. L. Reading time: 11 hours, 51 minutes.
Read by Colleen Delany.

Historical Fiction
Family
Bestsellers

Western Australia, 1926. On an island one hundred miles from the mainland, lighthouse keepers Isabel and Tom Sherbourne discover a boat carrying a dead man and a crying baby. The decisions they make that day come back to haunt them several years later. Bestseller. 2012.

Questions: yes, Wanda, May, 1.

Lamb: the Gospel according to Biff, Christ's childhood pal DB86280
Moore, Christopher. Reading time: 16 hours, 37 minutes.
Read by Michael Russotto.

Religious Fiction
Humor

Humorous imagining of the early years of Jesus Christ, as told by Biff, his best friend from his Nazareth days. The pair have adventures, including traveling the world to find the three wise men so they can ask them for advice. Strong language and some descriptions of sex. 2002.

Questions: have not looked, Nancy, June 5.