[NFBV-Potomac-Announce] Book Club 2019-2020

John Halverson jwh100 at outlook.com
Tue Aug 13 21:08:47 UTC 2019

Here are some suggested books for the 2019-2020 book club.

I was hoping for more submissions.  Sandy dithers on her suggestions and I have not heard from book club stalwart such as Patty, Annette, and Karin.  I must confess, I have no suggestions.  I reviewed every book I downloaded from Bard in  the last year and was not moved to include anything.

Let's postpone our phone meeting for a few days and see what additional books are suggested

Thank you.

John
Christine

The tale of the dueling neurosurgeons: the history of the human brain as revealed by true stories of trauma, madness, and recovery DB 80933
Kean, Sam<https://nlsbard.loc.gov/nlsbardprod/search/lastname/page/1/sort/s/srch/Kean%252C%2520Sam>. Reading time 12 hours, 39 minutes.
Read by Henry Leyva<https://nlsbard.loc.gov/nlsbardprod/search/narrator/srch/Henry%2520Leyva>. A production of the National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped, Library of Congress.

Subjects: Health and Medicine<https://nlsbard.loc.gov/nlsbardprod/search/subject/page/1/sort/s/srch/Health%2520and%2520Medicine>

Description: Author of The Disappearing Spoon (DB 72176) chronicles the history of brain research, including stories about King Henry II of France, a man who survived with a spike through his skull, and yet another man who died after receiving a small bump to the head. Violence, strong language, and descriptions of sex. Commercial audiobook. 2014.

Conscious: a brief guide to the fundamental mystery of the mind DB 95576

Harris, Annaka<https://nlsbard.loc.gov/nlsbardprod/search/lastname/page/1/sort/s/srch/Harris%252C%2520Annaka>. Reading time 2 hours, 24 minutes.
Read by Annaka Harris<https://nlsbard.loc.gov/nlsbardprod/search/narrator/srch/Annaka%2520Harris>. A production of the National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped, Library of Congress.

Subjects: Psychology and Self-Help<https://nlsbard.loc.gov/nlsbardprod/search/subject/page/1/sort/s/srch/Psychology%2520and%2520Self-Help>

Description: A science writer looks at consciousness from both a scientific and a philosophical perspective. She poses questions about how we define consciousness, why it arises, and why it exists. She also looks at how consciousness impacts identity and free will. Unrated. Commercial audiobook. 2019.

The brain ;: the story of you DB 83316

Eagleman, David<https://nlsbard.loc.gov/nlsbardprod/search/lastname/page/1/sort/s/srch/Eagleman%252C%2520David>. Reading time 5 hours, 39 minutes.
Read by David Eagleman<https://nlsbard.loc.gov/nlsbardprod/search/narrator/srch/David%2520Eagleman>. A production of the National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped, Library of Congress.

Subjects: Science and Technology<https://nlsbard.loc.gov/nlsbardprod/search/subject/page/1/sort/s/srch/Science%2520and%2520Technology> ; Health and Medicine<https://nlsbard.loc.gov/nlsbardprod/search/subject/page/1/sort/s/srch/Health%2520and%2520Medicine>

Description: Author of Incognito (DB 73699) and coauthor of Wednesday Is Indigo Blue (DB 80556) explores the inner workings of the brain. Discusses existential questions (including "What is reality?" and "Who are 'you'?"), as well as what allows humans to participate in extreme sports, serve on juries, and interpret facial expressions. Violence. Commercial audiobook. 2015.

Joe

One of his friends at church sent him this link to a rendition of Moby Dick.  Take a look.  http://www.mobydickbigread.com/

I found it cumbersome to use because you have to bring up each chapter independently.  Moby Dick is on BARD and is  28 hours long.  I am not interested in using it but may be the rest of you are.

As one of my English Ph.D. student friends said,  Moby Dick has generated more American English dissertations than any other books.  My friend's 300 page dissertation was, you guessed it, on Moby Dick.

Nancy proposes the below two books.  Questions exist for both.

The Turner house DB81739<https://nlsbard.loc.gov/nlsbardprod/download/detail/srch/DB81739>
Flournoy, Angela. Reading time: 10 hours, 37 minutes.
Read by Mare Trevathan.

Historical Fiction
Family

Francis and Viola Turner lived in their Detroit home for more than fifty years, raising thirteen children. Now, however, the neighborhood is crumbling, Francis is gone, and their mortgage is underwater, leaving the Turners to decide the fate of their home. Some strong language and some descriptions of sex. 2015.

The Reckoning DB92511<https://nlsbard.loc.gov/nlsbardprod/download/detail/srch/DB92511>
Grisham, John. Reading time: 17 hours, 38 minutes.
Read by Michael Beck.

Suspense Fiction
Legal Fiction

Pete Banning was Clanton, Mississippi's, favorite son--World War II hero, patriarch of a prominent family, farmer, and Methodist church member. Then one cool October morning he rose early, drove into town, walked into the church, and calmly shot and killed his pastor and friend, the Reverend Dexter Bell.

Joe's further suggestions include The Becoming by Michelle Obama

The matriarch: Barbara Bush and the making of an American dynasty DB95142<https://nlsbard.loc.gov/nlsbardprod/download/detail/srch/DB95142>
Page, Susan. Reading time: 12 hours, 49 minutes.
Read by Kate Levy.

Biography
Bestsellers
U.S. History

A biography of former First Lady Barbara Bush. Discusses her childhood in New York, loss of a daughter to leukemia, battle with depression, and role as wife and mother of two American presidents. Draws on interviews with friends and family, conversations with Bush, and diary entries. Unrated. Commercial audiobook. Bestseller. 2019.
Download The matriarch: Barbara Bush and the making of an American dynasty <https://nlsbard.loc.gov/nlsbardprod/download/book/srch/DB95142>

Becoming DB92627<https://nlsbard.loc.gov/nlsbardprod/download/detail/srch/DB92627>
Obama, Michelle. Reading time: 19 hours, 5 minutes.
Read by Michelle Obama.

Biography
Bestsellers
U.S. History

A memoir by the former First Lady, the first African American in that role. Obama recounts her childhood in Chicago, her years balancing motherhood and her career as an executive, and her time in the White House. Unrated. Commercial audiobook. Bestseller. 2018.
Download Becoming<https://nlsbard.loc.gov/nlsbardprod/download/book/srch/DB92627>

Carl's Books

The color of law: a forgotten history of how our government segregated America DB92052<https://nlsbard.loc.gov/nlsbardprod/download/detail/srch/DB92052>
Rothstein, Richard. Reading time: 9 hours, 35 minutes.
Read by Adam Grupper.

Social Sciences

Historian argues that American cities did not become racially divided due to de facto segregation but due to housing and lending policies put in place by local, state, and federal governments. Examines public housing, racial zoning, home ownership, white flight, suppressed incomes, and more. Unrated. Commercial audiobook. 2017.
Download The color of law: a forgotten history of how our government segregated America <https://nlsbard.loc.gov/nlsbardprod/download/book/srch/DB92052>

The war before the war: fugitive slaves and the struggle for America's soul from the Revolution to the Civil War DB93261<https://nlsbard.loc.gov/nlsbardprod/download/detail/srch/DB93261>
Delbanco, Andrew. Reading time: 13 hours, 42 minutes.
Read by Ari Fliakos.

U.S. History

Recounts the role that fugitive slaves played in driving the United States towards civil war by awakening northerners to the truth about slavery and enraging southerners who demanded the return of their "property." Discusses the notorious Compromise of 1850 and the Fugitive Slave Act. Unrated. Commercial audiobook. 2018.
Download The war before the war: fugitive slaves and the struggle for America's soul from the Revolution to the Civil War <https://nlsbard.loc.gov/nlsbardprod/download/book/srch/DB93261>