[NFBV-Potomac-Announce] More Possible Books

John Halverson jwh100 at outlook.com
Wed Aug 14 19:01:40 UTC 2019

Here are Karin's suggestions.

After her suggestions I included an email from the Arlington Talking book library from Joe Hobson.  It is self explanatory.

Hi John,
Here are 2 of my favorite fiction reads from the past year. If I have included too much information feel free to edit or delete, or return to me to redo. I did not find that the BARD descriptions gave the flavor of either book.
First selaction:
My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry: A
Novel  DB 83204

Backman, Fredrik<https://nlsbard.loc.gov/nlsbardprod/search/lastname/page/1/sort/s/srch/Backman%252C%2520Fredrik> Koch, Henning<https://nlsbard.loc.gov/nlsbardprod/search/lastname/page/1/sort/s/srch/Koch%252C%2520Henning>. Reading time 10 hours, 31 minutes. Read by Jordan Leigh.
Reviews:
"Full of heart, hope, forgiveness, and the embracing of differences, Elsa's story is one that sticks with you long after you've turned the last page." (Library Journal)
"The ability to write with both humor and sadness, to tell fairy tales without becoming sappy, to convey real love and grief, these are the remarkable gifts of Fredrik Backman. Elsa is 7 years old and you will hear people describe her as precocious, but she is more than that. She is curious about everything, braver than most adults, often difficult, and acutely aware of being an outsider. Her eccentric grandmother loves her fiercely and is willing to do many unusual, some may say crazy, things to bring joy and magic to Elsa's life. When her grandmother passes away, Elsa discovers that some of that magic may be more than just a wonderful story spun by the woman that loved her. As Elsa unearths the roles played by the quirky inhabitants of her life, she also begins to find her way through her grief and to the discovery that being different may be the magic that saves them all." (Luisa Smith, BookPassage (Bay Area) )
About the Author

Fredrik Backman is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of A Man Called Ove (soon to be a major motion picture starring Tom Hanks), My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry, Britt-Marie Was Here, Beartown, Us Against You, as well as two novellas, And Every Morning the Way Home Gets Longer and Longer and The Deal of a Lifetime. His books are published in more than forty countries. He lives in Stockholm, Sweden, with his wife and two children.

Monkeewrench by P.J. Tracy DB85449
Reading time 21 hours, 34 minutes.
Read by Barry Bernson<https://nlsbard.loc.gov/nlsbardprod/search/narrator/srch/Barry%2520Bernson>

>From Booklist<https://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/?docId=1000027801>
When people start dying in strange ways in Minneapolis, everyone wonders what the murderer will do next--everyone except the employees of Monkeewrench Software, who are all too aware that their new serial-killer computer game is the model for the crimes. They go to the police with the what, where, and when of the next murders and quickly become suspects themselves as the killer strikes again exactly as they predict. Does the closely knit group of coworkers know something they're not telling about the all-important who and why? The missing pieces come eventually from an unlikely source as a rural Wisconsin sheriff links his own chilling case to the Minneapolis murders. The two teams of detectives--one from the big city and one from the small town but both with their own quirks, love interests, and insights--provide the sparkle in this engaging debut thriller by a mother-daughter writing team who lace their suspense with humor a la Harlan Coben. Carrie Bissey
Copyright (c) American Library Association. All rights reserved

About the Author

P. J. Tracy is the pseudonym of the mother-daughter writing team of Patricia Lambrecht and Traci Lambrecht. Winners of the Anthony, Barry, Gumshoe, and Minnesota Book awards, they both live outside Minneapolis.

>From John.  Joe and I have not read any of these except the Underground Railroad.

Hello Joe,

Per our conversation yesterday, I wanted to share with you some titles that have been popular with our book clubs:

DB 86668 News of the World by Paulette Jiles

DB 82175 The Wright brothers by David McCullough

DB 77749  One summer: America 1927 by Bill Bryson

DB 88118  Beartown: a novel  by Fredrik Backman

Additionally, the following authors will be featured speakers at Arlington Public Library in 2019/2020 so it may be interesting to read a work by one or more of them and then attend the Author Talk.

Tommy Orange

DB 91321 There There

Stephanie Land

DB 93971 Maid

Roxane Gay

DB 88658 Hunger: A Memoir of my Body

Laila Lalami

DB 94629 The Other Americans, a Novel

Rebecca Traister

DB 93096 Good and Mad: the Revolutionary Power of Women's Anger

Valeria Luiselli

DB 93811 The Lost children archive

Elaine Weiss

DB 90697  The Woman's Hour: the Great Fight to Win the Vote

Colson Whitehead

DB 85212 Underground Railroad

In production: The Nickel Boys

I hope that helps.

Jennifer Odlum

Talking Book Service
Arlington Public Library
talkingbooks at arlingtonva.us<mailto:interlibraryloan at arlingtonva.us>
703-228-6333
library at arlingtonva.us<mailto:library at arlingtonva.us>
Download<https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Flibrary.arlingtonva.us%2Fapp&data=02%7C01%7CJllewis%40arlingtonva.us%7C537019265c934191068608d63ab7794c%7C803548041fdf428e9f5f5091e994cf54%7C0%7C0%7C636760957016812622&sdata=lVkESLU9HLk5O6wa%2F2MFxXGfdYukogNmy3qNasPrtRg%3D&reserved=0> the Library app.

[cid:image001.png at 01D552B0.F66F03D0]
Any email sent to/from Arlington County email addresses may be subject to disclosure under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA)