[NFBV-Potomac-Announce] Donations to Blind Students in Ethiopia

John Halverson jwh100 at outlook.com
Tue Sep 10 16:21:14 UTC 2019

Hello Colleagues,

Our friend and colleague Kassahun is visiting Ethiopia in November and wants to gather donations of materials to help blind children get an education and increase their independence.  Please find below his request.

I am happy to discuss  this at our Thursday meeting.  I hope someone will step up to the plate to coordinate this important effort.

See below for Kassahun's important request.

John

The blind in Africa have severe problems in education,  employment, orientation and mobility, and so on. The situation in Ethiopia is not any better. During my service years as president both of the National Association of the blind and the national federation of the disabled    in that country, I was able to learn the challenge the blind face especially in education and employment. Fortunately, if you get some degree in some field, (at least for the time being) you get a job. Yet, the learning process is rocky particularly for blind children. Out of millions of blind children, Only Less than 3 percent of them have access to education. Even those who managed to get to school under any hardship,  lack the basic educational materials like slate, styluses, white canes, braille paper etc. Most of them (especially those in the rural part of the country) simply sit in class and learn by memory. They don't have slate and styluses to write with, no Braille textbooks to read; the computer is unthinkable. I visited some schools where some devoted teachers tried to make stylists from a piece of wood; however, Since the slate is a bit more complicated, having the stylist has no use. So, my long-term plan is to discuss the problem with my American blind friends here and coordinate some private volunteer support for those blind kids through the national Organization.

I know there are so many Blind individuals here who would like to assist in any way possible.  If conditions permit, we may even organize a site visit in which some blind American will visit the real situation of the blind in Ethiopia. That requires much planning and coordination and therefore, needs some additional planning time. In the meantime, since I am going to Ethiopia the first week of November 2019, it just came to my mind if I can collect a few items like slate and styluses, used white canes, and some other small devices at least to aid a few blind students. I can't manage a big package, but  small items at least would be greatly appreciated.

But if, on the other hand, we can get many blind friends to help, and the package becomes beyond my individual capacity, I can talk to the association and even the government so that they can coordinate to receive it in a separate arrangement. I am, therefore, writing to ask if we can find private individuals and friends who would be able to join us in contributing educational materials like white canes  and slates and stylists or anything that a blind kid can use for education.

Any contribution would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Kassahun Yibeltal

Cell: 703-798-1156
E-mail: kassahunyibeltal at yahoo.com<mailto:kassahunyibeltal at yahoo.com>