[NFBV-Potomac-Announce] June 2020 Potomac Chapter Book Club

John Halverson jwh100 at outlook.com
Mon Jun 1 15:31:42 UTC 2020

Hello Colleagues, Friends, and Book Lovers,

The Potomac Chapter Book Club meets Wednesday June 3 at 7:00 PM.  The book is Big Lies in a Small Town by Diane Chamberlain.

Below please find the Zoom instructions and the questions.  Thank you Tracy for graciously offering our affiliate's zoom capability for this meeting.

As a reminder, we will meet in mid-August to discuss books for next year.  Please begin to think of books you may offer to the group.  I hope we select books that already have book club questions or that are easy for us to develop discussion questions.

John

Tracy Soforenko is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Join Zoom Meeting

https://zoom.us/j/8297256345

Meeting ID: 829 725 6345

One tap mobile

+13017158592,,8297256345# US (Germantown)

+13126266799,,8297256345# US (Chicago)

Dial by your location

        +1 301 715 8592 US (Germantown)

        +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)

        +1 646 876 9923 US (New York)

        +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)

        +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)

        +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)

        +1 408 638 0968 US (San Jose)

Meeting ID: 829 725 6345

Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/acNbNZEsCP

Join by Skype for Business

https://zoom.us/skype/8297256345

Tracy Soforenko
President, National Federation of the Blind of Virginia
202 285-4595
Tracy.soforenko at gmail.com<mailto:Tracy.soforenko at gmail.com>
www.nfb.org<http://www.nfb.org>
www.nfbv.org<http://www.nfbv.org>
National Federation of the Blind. Live the Life You Want
The National Federation of the Blind is a community of members and friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation's blind. Every day we work together to help blind people live the lives they want

Discussion Questions for Big Lies  in a Small  Town  LitLovers Copyright 2020

1. How does the prologue introduce us to the novel? What does it leave you wondering about? Did it succeed in making you want to read further?

2. The novel alternates between two time frames and voices-did you feel drawn to the past or present narrative and characters more?

3. Both women suffered terrible and unfair hardship in their lives, can you relate to how they react to it and the choices they make?

4. In the present-day narrative, everyone speculates that Anna lost her mind, and that's why the mural was finished the way it was. Before what happened to her was revealed, what did you suspect? Were you surprised by what did happen?

5. The novel tackles a lot of tough subject matter within the alternating story-lines. Was there one plot point that resonated with you more than the others?

6. For both of these characters, the mural and art become part of a healing process. For Anna, it is the death of her mother while, for Morgan, it is the accident and time in prison. Is there something similar in your life that has helped you heal from trauma and hardship?

7. As you were reading, did you expect Oliver and Morgan to fall in love? Why or why not? Do you think Oliver is good for Morgan, and vice versa?

8. How did you react to Jesse helping Anna to cover up the murder and in doing so abandoning his life? Do you agree with Anna's decision to allow him to do so?

9. In chapter 67, Anna and Morgan's connection is revealed, as is Jesse's reasoning for requesting that Morgan restore the mural. Did you anticipate this connection?

10. The revelation about Judith Shipley's true identity is a huge twist at the end of the novel. Did you suspect anything about this? Do you agree with her decision to change her identity completely and start a new life? Would you have come back all those years later?

11. Morgan spends a lot of time thinking about Emily Maxwell and how her actions impacted her life. What do you think about her decision to visit her in the end? Would you have done the same? How do you imagine that visit went?

12. What do you think the future has in store for Morgan?