[NFBV-Potomac-Announce] Sad News the Passing of Lloyd Rasmussen

John Halverson jwh100 at outlook.com
Thu Oct 14 18:25:53 UTC 2021

Hello Friends,

I regret to have  to tell you that our friend and colleague Lloyd Rasmussen, a leader in our Maryland affiliate passed on September 13.

Below is a tribute from the President of our Maryland affiliate and Lloyd's obituary.

A celebration of Lloyd's life will take place on Saturday, October 16.  Details are given below.

Sent: Monday, September 13, 2021 10:28 PM

Subject: Sad News: Lloyd Rasmussen

Federation Family,
I am very sorry to share that our brother in the Federation, Lloyd Rasmussen, passed away early this morning.  Lloyd was a brilliant man, having been one of the first blind people to become an engineer and work in his field; he served at the Library of Congress National Library for the Blind and Print Disabled for nearly 46 years.  He helped develop and implement dozens of NLS programs.  If you listen to talking books, you have Lloyd to thank.  If you use BARD, you have Lloyd to thank.  If you have an NLS Braille display, you have Lloyd to thank.  And these are just a few of his contributions.

Lloyd was a fierce advocate for Braille, and he worked to make sure others could access it.  In fact, Lloyd was responsible for creating and formatting our state convention Braille agendas for literally decades.

Lloyd was an outstanding sound engineer and technology enthusiast.  In fact, Lloyd has served as the audio engineer for all of the NFB of Maryland Braille is Beautiful plays.

Lloyd loved music.  As a member of the Cane Raisers, he wrote or sang many of the songs that are now our Federation melodies.

Lloyd also was a man of strong faith.  He led the affiliate's Sunday morning devotionals for many years.

Lloyd was also an amateur radio operator, having begun when he was in third grade.  His call sign was W3IUU.

Lloyd previously served as President of the Sligo Creek Chapter in the 1980s.  He has served in many leadership roles since moving to Maryland in 1975.  When he passed, he was the chapter secretary.

Lloyd leaves behind his beloved wife of 40 years, Judy Rasmussen.

Lloyd's services will take place later this week in Iowa.  There will be a memorial service at a later date, and we will share information once it is available.

Please keep Lloyd, Judy, and their friends and family in your thoughts and prayers.

Ronza Othman, President
443-426-4110
Pronouns: she, her, hers

The National Federation of the Blind of Maryland knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day we raise the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can live the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back.

Obituary
Lloyd Gerald Rasmussen January 26, 1947-September 13, 2021

Lloyd was born in Lohrville, Iowa, a town of approximately 300 people. He attended the Iowa Braille and Sight Saving School where he learned that those little magical dots called braille could open a new world to him. He was an avid reader all his life.

Lloyd obtained his novice amateur radio license when he was eight years old, one of the youngest people to do so. He encouraged many others, both blind and sighted, to obtain their licenses.

Lloyd attended Iowa State University and graduated with a Bachelor's degree in Electronics Engineering, one of the first blind people to be awarded a degree in this field. He used readers, braille graphs and slide rules to complete his complicated math classes. His first job was with Collins Radio where he tested instruments to help airplanes navigate in the fog.

Lloyd moved to Maryland in 1975 to work for the National Library Service for the Blind and Print Disabled. He helped to design talking book players, enabling thousands of blind people to read audio books. More recently, he was working on the design and testing of portable electronic braille reading devices. These devices allow blind people to download books in braille formatted files from the Library for the Blind and Print Disabled collection, as well as newspapers and other documents. He loved his work, and felt he was making a difference in people's lives, especially for newly blind people who thought they had lost the pleasure of reading.

For over 50 years, Lloyd was very active in the National Federation of the Blind. He held offices both at the state and local level, taught technology classes, as well as printed thousands of braille pages for seminars, children's programs, chapel services and conventions.

Since 1983, Lloyd has been attending Presbyterian Church of the Atonement. He served terms as both an elder and deacon, sang in the choir, served as a small group leader, and played conga drums in Alternate Melody, Atonement's praise and worship team. He loved all of it, and considered his church to be his extended family.

Lloyd is survived by his wife, Judy, his brother Paul, of California, his sister, Janice Brown of Oregon and six nieces and nephews. He loved his Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, and I know he is now rejoicing with fellow believers.

To give God the glory and to celebrate Lloyd's life, services will be held on Saturday, October 16 at 11:00am at the Presbyterian Church of the Atonement, 10613 Georgia Avenue, Silver Spring, Maryland, 20902. The main entrance to the church is off Plyers Mill, at the back of the church. A luncheon will be held after the service. The service will also be live streamed from the church website or Facebook page: www.atonementlife.org<https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.atonementlife.org%2F&data=04%7C01%7C%7C3b659ff898994bac344708d98f329476%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637698269671843797%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=PTljMGHJS5cxaVIStEwj5n7GrVRk29rlYbJyKIdbweQ%3D&reserved=0> or Church of the Atonement, Silver Spring, MD (Facebook).

Memorial gifts may either be given to the National Federation of the Blind of Maryland, or to Presbyterian Church of the Atonement. Church contributions may be mailed to the church address or given through the church website (both listed above) and designated to the Lloyd Rasmussen Memorial. If you have any questions or require more information, you may email info at atonementlife.org<mailto:info at atonementlife.org>.

John Halverson