[NFBV-Potomac-Announce] Book Club

John Halverson jwh100 at outlook.com
Thu Sep 9 19:42:14 UTC 2021

Hello Friends,

I have received several suggestions for this year's book club.  See below.  These are in no particular time order.  I think I have all of our suggestions.  I am still looking for questions for some of these books.

John I think.
Caste: the origins of our discontents DB100088<https://nlsbard.loc.gov/nlsbardprod/download/detail/srch/DB100088>
Wilkerson, Isabel Reading time: 14 hours, 28 minutes.
Robin Miles

Social Sciences
Bestsellers

The Pulitzer Prize-winning author of The Warmth of Other Suns (DB 71929) examines the unofficial castes and hierarchies she has observed as inherent in American society. She also discusses the eight pillars of all caste systems and offers ways for America to move forward. Unrated. Commercial audiobook. Bestseller. 2020.

Karin
Anxious people DB100531<https://nlsbard.loc.gov/nlsbardprod/download/detail/srch/DB100531>
Backman, Fredrik; Smith, Neil Reading time: 9 hours, 55 minutes.
Marin Ireland

Humor
General
Psychological Fiction

Looking at real estate isn't usually a life-or-death situation, but an apartment open house in a Swedish town becomes just that when a failed bank robber bursts in and takes an eclectic group of strangers hostage. Strong language and some violence. Commercial audiobook. 2020.

Leroy two books with questions.

Devil in the grove: Thurgood Marshall, the Groveland Boys, and the dawn of a new America DB77515<https://nlsbard.loc.gov/nlsbardprod/download/detail/srch/DB77515>
King, Gilbert Reading time: 16 hours, 41 minutes.
Bob Moore A production of the National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped, Library of Congress.

Social Sciences
Legal Issues

Details the events that led to the Supreme Court's 1951 decision in Shepherd v. Florida, which overturned the convictions of three black men accused of raping a white teenager. Highlights the role played by NAACP attorney--and future Supreme Court justice--Thurgood Marshall. Violence and strong language. Pulitzer Prize. 2012.

Empire of pain: the secret history of the Sackler dynasty DB102965<https://nlsbard.loc.gov/nlsbardprod/download/detail/srch/DB102965>
Keefe, Patrick Radden Reading time: 18 hours, 9 minutes.
Patrick Radden Keefe

Biography
True Crime

Author of Say Nothing (DB 94329) examines the history of the Sackler family who has donated money to many prominent cultural and educational institutions, but who have made their money off drugs like Valium and OxyContin. Discusses legal challenges the family and their companies have faced. Unrated. Commercial audiobook. 2021.

Christine

Billy Summers, by Stephen King
This is not yet on BARD but I suspect it will soon be available.

Sandy
The red lotus DB98728<https://nlsbard.loc.gov/nlsbardprod/download/detail/srch/DB98728>
Bohjalian, Chris Reading time: 12 hours, 3 minutes.
Rebecca Lowman

Mystery and Detective Stories

After six months of dating, Alexis and Austin go on a Vietnam bike tour so that Austin can pay his respects to the place where his father and uncle fought in the war. But as Alexis waits for him to return from a solo ride, Austin vanishes into thin air. Unrated. Commercial audiobook. 2020.

I  am  not sure who  first suggested  this book.
The splendid and the vile: a saga of Churchill, family, and defiance during the Blitz DB100054<https://nlsbard.loc.gov/nlsbardprod/download/detail/srch/DB100054>
Larson, Erik Reading time: 17 hours, 51 minutes.
Erik Larson

Bestsellers
World History and Affairs

The author of Dead Wake (DB 80936) describes Winston Churchill and London during the Blitz. He examines this dark year of London's history primarily through the domestic drama of Churchill and his family's day-to-day experiences. Unrated. Commercial audiobook. Bestseller. 2020.

John
The evening and the morning DB100586<https://nlsbard.loc.gov/nlsbardprod/download/detail/srch/DB100586>

Follett, Ken. Reading time: 24 hours, 21 minutes.
Read by John Lee.

Religious Fiction
Suspense Fiction
Historical Fiction
Human Relations

England, 997. In the time of the Anglo-Saxon kings, Vikings rule the seas. A Norman noblewoman follows her new husband across the sea to her new home. A boat builder moves his family to safety, but doesn't fit in. And a monk dreams of a center of learning. Unrated. Commercial audiobook. 2020.

John I am still looking for questions

Answer Creek DB100020<https://nlsbard.loc.gov/nlsbardprod/download/detail/srch/DB100020>

Sweeney, Ashley E Reading time: 11 hours, 54 minutes.
Jessica Wortham

Historical Fiction

1846. Ada loses her parents to the dangers of traveling west to California. She decides to continue on with the Donner party. But misfortune follows the group, and Ada faces hard choices about what she needs to do to survive. Violence and strong language. 2020.