[NFBV-Potomac-Announce] Research Study at Johns Hopkins

Christine Grassman cfgrassman at icloud.com
Fri Jul 15 19:19:29 UTC 2022

The below research participant solicitation is being provided for informational purposes only. The National Federation of the Blind has no involvement in this research, but we believe that it may contribute to our research mission.

The Neuroplasticity and Development Lab in the Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences at Johns Hopkins University is seeking participants for psychology research studies. The purpose of these studies is to uncover similarities and differences in how people with varying lifetime experiences process information. The studies compare cognition in blind and sighted individuals in order to better understand how visual and non-visual experiences contribute to concepts and language.

Participating in our research studies involves listening to stories and sounds, reading Braille and answering questions. Some of our studies involve getting an MRI scan. Each study typically lasts between 2 to 3 hours and participants are compensated $20-$30 per hour for their time. The studies take place at Johns Hopkins, in Baltimore City and the cost of transportation is covered by the laboratory.

To qualify for these studies you must be a healthy blind adult between 18 and 60 years-of-age. Prior to taking part in any studies participants are asked to complete a pre-screening interview over the phone to ensure that they qualify. The screening interview takes between 15 and 30 minutes and those who take part in the interview are compensated $15. Participants who qualify will be entered into a participant database and contacted to schedule a study appointment.

To learn more, please contact the lab either by calling (410) 870-9895 or
emailing plasticity_lab at jhu.edu <mailto:plasticity_lab at jhu.edu>.

Thank you for taking the time to read this announcement.

Marina Bedny, Ph.D.
Director of Neuroplasticity & Development Lab
Assistant Professor
Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences
Johns Hopkins University
http://pbs.jhu.edu/research/bedny/index.html <https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fprotect-us.mimecast.com%2Fs%2FONnlC9rLnJFkYyE2hogw9v%3Fdomain%3Dpbs.jhu.edu&data=05%7C01%7Clblake%40nfb.org%7C8323ed6d396847ebc73608da65c1eef5%7C538f3d4b739545cf93fa8dfc2b4a7f62%7C1%7C0%7C637934180870766335%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=56ji4Y%2BXmL86faWf6NeJcT03c7UDaD4moyy2kRDa%2BAE%3D&reserved=0>