[NFBV-Potomac-Announce] Neuroplasticity Lab at Johns Hopkins Contact Information

Christine Grassman cfgrassman at icloud.com
Sun Nov 13 16:24:10 UTC 2022

Hi there again, everyone. Hope you are having a pleasant, cozy weekend with the sudden drop in temperature. I know some of you have been waiting anxiously for this change, but not I. Give me fifties through the seventies all year round, eighties if it’s not humid. That’s how I roll.
Anyway, at our last meeting, prior to our fantastic Indigenous panel discussion, we heard from researchers from the Neuroplasticity Lab at Johns Hopkins, who invited people who are blind since birth with no or minimal light perception to consider participating in a research study which compares the ways that parts of the brain, such as the visual cortex, change to accommodate a lack of eyesight. The study involves questionnaires, Braille and audio scenario testing with and without brain imaging with an MRI. All expenses are paid, including travel, lodging, and food. Family members can join you, and the researchers are seeking people from throughout the country.
You will also be paid for your participation: $20 per hour for the behavioral-only part of the study, and $30 per hour if you are eligible for the MRI part of the study (Braden and I were eligible for both). Be aware that payment per hour is only for the hours you are at the lab, and this can certainly amount to ten hours or more.

If you want more information (you will have to participate in a telephone interview to check eligibility), contact the lab at:

> Johns Hopkins Neuroplasticity and Development Lab
>
> plasticity_lab at jhu.edu <mailto:plasticity_lab at jhu.edu>

(410) 870-9895

While i cannot share explicit details about the study, because this could potentially compromise results, if you have any questions about the logistics, feel free to reach out.
Christine