[NFBV-Potomac-Announce] Deadline Approaching for CPR and Choking Intervention Class at Convention, Friday, October 28

Christine Grassman cfgrassman at icloud.com
Wed Oct 12 11:44:39 UTC 2022

Quick note about this opportunity: Some have indicated they would rather take a class like this and get certified. I agree, which is why I am working hard to secure support and funding for making the Red Cross Learning Center online classes accessible, which makes it possible to take the class and then be assessed in a much shorter in-person class. However, the current online course has several accessibility issues. In addition, there is a cost associated with taking it, usually a minimum of $80, to cover the costs of the instructor, renting of the mannequins, the kits distributed to the class at the assessment, etc.
This class will provide skills you can use or that you can describe to others in an emergency at home or at work.
One of the goals I am working on as a member of the Fairfax and Arlington Community Emergency Response Teams, a certified CPR/First Aid/AED instructor, and a representative of the National Capital Region Emergency Consortium is getting resources and awareness of our need as blind people to be trained and considered in emergency and disaster preparedness training, certification, and for volunteer opportunities to assist others in our communities.
We must demonstrate interest. The class is only half full, and though I realize it is a habit to do things last minute, please push down that urge. If you are interested in being certified eventually, anyone signing up for this class will get first dibs when my project with Accessibility, Inc., secures funding and we move forward with certifying at least ten blind individuals a month throughout next year.
The Winchester Host Lions has generously provided support for the class.
Please sign up by emailing your name, phone number, email, and if you prefer Braille or electronic materials to:
cprclass at nfbv.org <mailto:cprclass at nfbv.org>

Christine