[NFBV-Potomac-Announce] October November Book Club

John Halverson jwh100 at outlook.com
Thu Sep 22 18:21:09 UTC 2022

Hello colleagues,

A few of us met on September 18 to discuss book club books.  We have selected two, one for October and one for November.

October 5 at 7:00 PM.

The Glass Castle
by Jeannette Walls<https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FJeannette-Walls%2Fe%2FB001IGT5FG%3Fref%3Dsr_ntt_srch_lnk_2%26qid%3D1662906836%26sr%3D8-2&data=05%7C01%7C%7C4980414ea5654fa1122708da945c9e9e%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637985422775040252%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=8CJzDKEkhnR0wBfcMekpjZwqupUZPgJ5djVkDQREnnc%3D&reserved=0>
A 2005 memoir
ten hours and twenty' five minutes

The Glass Castle is a remarkable memoir of resilience and redemption, and a revelatory look into a family at once deeply dysfunctional and uniquely vibrant. When sober, Jeannette's brilliant and charismatic father captured his children's imagination, teaching them physics, geology, and how to embrace life fearlessly. But when he drank, he was dishonest and destructive. Her mother was a free spirit who abhorred the idea of domesticity and didn't want the responsibility of raising a family.

The Walls children learned to take care of themselves. They fed, clothed, and protected one another, and eventually found their way to New York. Their parents followed them, choosing to be homeless even as their children prospered.
A memoir

There are discussion questions.

I forgot to write the November selection during our discussion.  I think it is A Woman of no Importance.  Please let me know if I am wrong.

November 2 7:00 PM. A Woman of No Importance; The Untold Story of the American Spy Who Helped Win World War  II;
By: Sonia Purnell; Narrated by: Juliet Stevenson;
Length: 13 hrs and 54 minutes
Biography
2019
 1942, the Gestapo sent out an urgent transmission: "She is the most dangerous of all Allied spies. We must find and destroy her."

The target in their sights was Virginia Hall, a Baltimore socialite who talked her way into Special Operations Executive, the spy organization dubbed Winston Churchill's "Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare." She became the first Allied woman deployed behind enemy lines and--despite her prosthetic leg--helped to light the flame of the French Resistance, revolutionizing secret warfare as we know it. Virginia established vast spy networks throughout France, called weapons and explosives down from the skies, and became a linchpin for the Resistance.
Discussion questions are available.

Let me know if I am wrong.

John

Zoom information.