[NFBV-Potomac-Announce] May 2023 Potomac Chapter Minutes

John Halverson jwh100 at outlook.com
Tue Jun 13 18:53:16 UTC 2023

National Federation of the Blind
Potomac Chapter
May 10, 2023
Minutes

President Sandy Halverson called the meeting to order at St. George's Episcopal Church a little after 7:00 PM. The meeting began with an installation of the newly elected chapter board. Tracy asked each officer  and board member to stand up and recite the federation pledge together.
Sandy proceeded by asking the members to think about a priority each one could commit to following through with in the upcoming year. For example Tracy and Sharon are planning a wine tasting fundraiser for September 23rd.
In March, the board decided to alternate holding meetings in person and virtually. Sandy asked the chapter if they preferred to keep this plan, and the chapter agreed. The June meeting will take place on Zoom, and the August meeting will take place in person at St. George's.
John Halverson spoke about the chapter audit. He reported that the audit was successful.
Sandy turned the discussion to the minutes and treasurer's report from April. There was a motion to approve the minutes, and the minutes were approved. Sandy asked for any additions or corrections to the treasurer's report. Sean McMahon summarized the treasurer's report and went over the specifics of the transition from the previous treasurer to himself.
Sandy opened the floor for members to present their suggestions for chapter activities. First, Sandy suggested we hold an auction. Second, Sean suggested we lead a technology class on popular apps and programs, such as Microsoft Teams and online banking apps. The chapter discussed various ways we could hold such a seminar, including on Zoom where we could invite members of other affiliates.
John spoke about membership and efforts to recruit additional members. He suggested that we create a database of all the members and potential members in the state. Sandy then asked everyone to consider how they can help bring in new members. She suggested that the membership committee recreate a phone tree so that members would be alerted each month before the next meeting. Sean also suggested that we track the interests of our members so that we can leverage their interests to mentor, plan events, and find volunteers for specific activities.
Sandy reminded everyone that the state convention will take place in Williamsburg November 2nd through the 5th. Rodney Neely is looking for volunteers to help coordinate a bus that would take everyone from Arlington to Williamsburg.
Then Sandy recommended that we bring back philosophy discussions and the 50 50 raffle. Everyone agreed.
John made a motion to adjourn, and Sara seconded. The motion was approved.

Respectfully submitted,

Julie A. McGinnity