[NFBV-Potomac-Announce] February-June 2024 Book Club

John Halverson jwh100 at outlook.com
Thu Jan 18 19:45:44 UTC 2024

Hello,

A group  of us met and decided on book club books for February June 2024. Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Journey was selected for February, but it is not in BARD and has been withdrawn.

February 7, 2024: Rising Out of Hatred (non-fiction)
by Eli Saslaw

>From a Pulitzer Prize-winning reporter, the powerful story of how a prominent white supremacist changed his heart and mind
Derek Black grew up at the epicenter of white nationalism. His father founded Stormfront, the largest racist community on the Internet. His godfather, David Duke, was a KKK Grand Wizard. By the time Derek turned nineteen, he had become an elected politician with his own daily radio show - already regarded as the "the leading light" of the burgeoning white nationalist movement. "We can infiltrate," Derek once told a crowd of white nationalists. "We can take the country back."
     Then he went to college. Derek had been home-schooled by his parents, steeped in the culture of white supremacy, and he had rarely encountered diverse perspectives or direct outrage against his beliefs. At New College of Florida, he continued to broadcast his radio show in secret each morning, living a double life until a classmate uncovered his identity and sent an email to the entire school. "Derek Black...white supremacist, radio host...New College student???"
  (fiction)
there are discussion questions. John

March 6, 2024: Mad honey: a novel DB110596
Picoult, Jodi; Boylan, Jennifer Finney; Coon, Carrie Reading time: 15 hours, 30 minutes.
Family
Bestsellers
Legal Fiction

"Olivia McAfee knows what it feels like to start over. Her picture-perfect life-living in Boston, married to a brilliant cardiothoracic surgeon, raising their beautiful son, Asher-was upended when her husband revealed a darker side. She never imagined that she would end up back in her sleepy New Hampshire hometown, living in the house she grew up in and taking over her father's beekeeping business. Lily Campanello is familiar with do-overs, too. When she and her mom relocate to Adams, New Hampshire, for her final year of high school, they both hope it will be a fresh start. And for just a short while, these new beginnings are exactly what Olivia and Lily need. Their paths cross when Asher falls for the new girl in school, and Lily can't help but fall for him, too. With Ash, she feels happy for the first time. Yet at times, she wonders if she can trust him completely... Then one day, Olivia receives a phone call: Lily is dead, and Asher is being questioned by the police. Olivia is adamant that her son is innocent. But she would be lying if she didn't acknowledge the flashes of his father's temper in Ash, and as the case against him unfolds, she realizes he's hidden more than he's shared with her. Mad Honey is a riveting novel of suspense, an unforgettable love story, and a moving and powerful exploration of the secrets we keep and the risks we take in order to become ourselves." -- Provided by publisher. Includes supplementary material. Unrated. Commercial audiobook. Bestseller.

There are questions, Nancy

April 3, 2024: Killers of the Flower Moon (non-fiction)
by David Grann
Unabridged: 9 hours 4 minutes
      In this last remnant of the Wild West-where oilmen like J. P. Getty made their fortunes and where desperadoes like Al Spencer, the "Phantom Terror," roamed-many of those who dared to investigate the killings were themselves murdered. As the death toll climbed to more than twenty-four, the FBI took up the case. It was one of the organization's first major homicide investigations and the bureau badly bungled the case. In desperation, the young director, J. Edgar Hoover, turned to a former Texas Ranger named Tom White to unravel the mystery. White put together an undercover team, including one of the only American Indian agents in the bureau. The agents infiltrated the region, struggling to adopt the latest techniques of detection.  Together with the Osage they began to expose one of the most chilling conspiracies in American history.

there are discussion questions. Sandy

May 1, 2024, Four Winds (fiction)
by Kristen Hannah
fifteen hours, two minutes
There are discussion questions.
"The Four Winds seems eerily prescient in 2021 . . . Its message is galvanizing and hopeful: We are a nation of scrappy survivors. We've been in dire straits before; we will be again. Hold your people close."-The New York Times
"A spectacular tour de force that shines a spotlight on the indispensable but often overlooked role of Greatest Generation women."-People
"Through one woman's survival during the harsh and haunting Dust Bowl, master storyteller, Kristin Hannah, reminds us that the human heart and our Earth are as tough, yet as fragile, as a change in the wind." -Delia Owens, author of Where the Crawdads Sing
There are questions, LeRoy

June 5, 2024: I do not see Karin's book. Someone please remind me what it is.

Thank you.