[NFBV-Winchester] VVDBI offerings for January and February 2021

Chris Walker chrisvinson1 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 22:28:33 UTC 2020

2021 is (almost) here!
VRCBVI is pleased to offer virtual training opportunities throughout January and February, 2021!
All sessions are open to anyone and free of charge. Each training will begin at 1:00 pm EST and will end no later than 3:00 pm EST. Please check out and select events you'd like to attend, then tell us about yourself near the bottom of this form. You will receive a confirmation email containing login / call in information for each event you select. If you use Google Calendar, there is also a link you can use to create a reminder of the event, which we hope you'll take advantage of! If your email address is entered incorrectly, you will not receive this information successfully. Like our prior trainings, we will be using Zoom as our virtual platform. If any accommodations are needed, please contact Amy Phelps (amy.phelps at dbvi.virginia.gov) no later than seven days in advance of the training. And if you have any questions about the registration process or virtual training sessions, please contact Greg Chittum at 804-371-3204 or greg.chittum at dbvi.virginia.gov.

Virginia Rehabilitation Center for the Blind and Vision Impaired
Virtual Trainings - January / February, 2021
Mondays and Wednesdays
January 11 to February 24

Monday, January 11 - 1:00 to 3:00 (2 hours) Pre-ETS
Accessing Visual Information on the Go: Using Aira, Be My Eyes, Seeing AI
Have you ever found yourself needing baking directions? Tired of wondering what your envelopes say? Would you like a visual description of the world around you? Come and learn how to use mobile apps to obtain this information and much, much more.
Presenter: Mike Fish, Lead Technology Instructor

Wednesday, January 13 - 1:00 to 2:30 (1 hour 30 minutes) Pre-ETS
Skills for Interviewing & Landing Your Next Job—Virtual and In-person Approaches That Work
Join Greg as he talks with Jeremy Grandstaff, an Executive Coach, who will discuss the skills you need to improve your professional appearance and tackle the virtual or in-person interview. This interactive discussion will include ways to present blindness in a positive way, educate the interviewer and help you land your next job.
Facilitator: Greg Chittum, Coordinator for Community Engagement

Monday, January 18 - 1:00 to 2:30 (1 hour 30 minutes) Pre-ETS
Cleaning Skills for the Blind and Vision Impaired: Kitchen Cleaning
This session will explore various techniques, tips and strategies to effectively clean your kitchen. Topics will include how to clean kitchen counters, stovetops, ovens, microwaves, kitchen floors, dishes and more.
Presenter: Dave Fuller, Personal and Home Management Instructor

Wednesday, January 20 - 1:00 to 3:00 (2 hours) Pre-ETS
Conversations About Blindness - Buying a Home as a Blind Person: Tips and Strategies
Hear about the experiences of blind individuals who have purchased homes.  What worked well for them?  What would they have done differently?  How did they “look” at potential homes?  How did they determine if they were financially ready to own a home?  In this session, we will discuss all these questions and more. Don’t let your dream home become a nightmare.
Panel Moderator: Melody Roane, VRCBVI Director

Monday, January 25 - 1:00 to 2:30 (1 hour 30 minutes) Pre-ETS
Stepping Outside Your Comfort Zone and Dancing with Fear
Discover ways to confront fear and make positive strides towards overcoming anxieties that try to hold us back from moving forward. We hope to use this training as an opportunity to uncover and share how individuals who are blind and vision impaired successfully face challenges, surpass obstacles, and celebrate victories in life.
Presenter: Jimmy Morris, Orientation and Mobility Instructor

Wednesday, January 27 - 1:00 to 2:30 (1 hour 30 minutes) Pre-ETS
Do I Still Need Braille if I Can See Some Things?
Although this answer looks different for everyone, we’re going to talk about how you can learn Braille as a person with residual vision, ways Braille can be useful in your life, and how you can be a successful Braille reader even if you didn’t learn it as a child.
Presenter: Domonique Lawless - Braille Instructor

Monday, February 1 - 1:00 to 2:30 (1 hour 30 minutes) Pre-ETS
Understanding How Different Types of Diabetes Medications Can Help Improve Your Health
Currently there are over 60 different types of medications to help treat diabetes, with more being developed every day! Understanding medications is a very important part of staying healthy, but how do you know they are working? Is what I am experiencing a side effect? Why am I on so many pills? Join this webinar to gain an understanding of the different types and actions of the medications and how they help regulate blood sugar levels.
Presenter: Kim Ladd – Health Educator

Wednesday, February 3 - 1:00 to 3:00 (2 hours) Pre-ETS
Take a Good Look at Yourself: Self-Assessment for Career Management
This session will be based on the activities included in the most popular job-hunting manual in the world, What Color Is Your Parachute?, by Richard Bolles. In this training, participants will gain an understanding of the parachute self-assessment process, try it out, and be able to continue & complete it on their own. Bring something to write with (notebook, brailler, computer, etc.) and be ready to take the next step on your career path!
Presenter: Joanne Wiggins, Adult Basic Education Instructor

Monday, February 8 - 1:00 to 3:00 (2 hours) Pre-ETS
Work Smarter Not Harder: Tech Tips to Improve Your Computing Efficiency
Are you always wanting to save a little time? Find yourself thinking there must be a quicker way to do this? Come learn how to automate basic computer tasks like opening apps when you turn on your computer, entering a set block of text by pressing a few keys, or simplifying complex computer tasks.
Presenter: Mike Villafane, Technology Instructor

Wednesday, February 10 - 1:00 to 2:30 (1 hour 30 minutes) Pre-ETS
2 Hour Job Search
If you've ever searched for a job, you know that it can become overwhelming to figure out what to do with your time each day. The 2 Hour Job Search, by Steve Dalton, takes the guesswork out of the job search by providing a structure to network efficiently, reach hiring managers and get interviews.
Presenter: Greg Chittum, Coordinator for Community Engagement

Monday, February 15 - 1:00 to 2:30 (1 hour 30 minutes) Pre-ETS
Cleaning Skills for the Blind and Vision Impaired: Cleaning Throughout the House
We will explore various techniques, tips and strategies for effective cleaning skills around the house. Topics will include how to vacuum carpeted and hardwood floors, sweeping, dusting, cleaning the bathroom, how to clean windows, mopping, and many others.
Presenter: Michael Triplett, Personal and Home Management Instructor

Wednesday, February 17 - 1:00 to 3:00 (2 hours) Pre-ETS
Conversations About Blindness - Creative and Unique Leisure Pursuits
Have you ever wondered what leisure interests blind people have and how they got started with those interests?  In this session you will learn from several blind individuals about what they do in their leisure time and the sure fire strategies they use for creating quality items.  You will also learn how some of these pursuits led to profitable ventures and how some were just fun activities to do.
Facilitator: Melody Roane, VRCBVI Director

Monday, February 22 - 1:00 to 2:30 (1 hour 30 minutes) Pre-ETS
Skills vs. Confidence
When it comes to independent cane travel, is one more important over the other? Or, are they both essential tools for success? Gather with us as we explore these two areas of importance, and decide each of their roles within the life of an experienced, effective, and competent traveler who happens to be blind or vision impaired.
Presenter: Becky Keller, Lead Orientation and Mobility Instructor

Wednesday, February 24 - 1:00 to 2:30 (1 hour 30 minutes) Pre-ETS
Making Braille Work for You
Have you ever had someone tell you that when you go to college or work you won’t have access to Braille? Hear from a panel of individuals who will debunk that misconception as they describe the ways they use Braille on the job.
Presenter: Domonique Lawless, Braille Instructor

Use this link for additional information and to register!

--
Greg Chittum
Coordinator for Community Engagement
Virginia Rehabilitation Center for the Blind and Vision Impaired
401 Azalea Ave.
Richmond, VA 23227
804-371-3204
vrcbvi.org

Chris Walker
President  Winchester Chapter
chrisvinson1 at gmail.com
540.303.0080
www.nfb.org
www.nfbv.org
The National Federation of the Blind is a community of members and friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation’s blind. Every day we work together to help blind people live the lives they want