[NFBV-Winchester] President Mark Riccovono's notebook

Chris Walker chrisvinson1 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 12:04:03 UTC 2022

President’s Notebook

National Federation of the Blind

Mark A. Riccobono

officeofthepresident at nfb.org

410-659-9314

Dear Federation Family,

Full steam ahead to New Orleans. I am getting excited for our national convention knowing that on Monday I will be at the Marriott for our Presidential Release Live with members of our New Orleans Chapter. Our work is making a difference in so many places and I cannot wait to celebrate with you and plan for the future at our convention.

We have many competing priorities in the National Federation of the Blind. Due to a variety of factors, we have decided that we were not in a position to operate our summer internship program at the NFB Jernigan Institute during 2022. Expect this important program to be back in 2023 refreshed and refocused to build the Federation. More details will be coming in the fall.
Critical Actions:

Upcoming May Presidential Release:
The next Presidential Release will take place Monday, May 2, at 8:00 p.m., eastern. The monthly Presidential Release provides important updates and perspectives of the organized blind movement, and the live event includes a Q&A session. Submit questions in advance to cdanielsen at nfb.org and put PR516 in the subject line, or call 410-659-9314, extension 2473. The Zoom Meeting ID is 915 8304 3260 or use the following link: https://zoom.us/j/91583043260 .

News:

Volunteers Needed!

Are you interested in helping to make the 2022 National Convention a huge success? You can help by volunteering in the Independence Market at national convention. We are currently looking for volunteers to serve as demonstrators, storekeepers, pay-station representatives, and line marshals during all four days the market is open. The dates for the market are Wednesday, July 6, through Saturday, July 9. We will be open on July 6 and 7 for the entire day and July 8 and 9 during the lunch period only.

The Independence Market at national convention would not be possible without the support, dedication, and hard work of our numerous volunteers. For more information or to volunteer, please contact Jen White at 410-659-9314, extension 2236, or email her at jwhite at nfb.org today.

2022-23 Teachers of Tomorrow Program Application Deadline Coming Soon:

The deadline to apply to be part of the 2022-2023 Teachers of Tomorrow cohort is May 1, 2022. Individuals in the United States who are currently studying to be teachers of blind students or career teachers who are currently employed teaching blind/low-vision students in PK-12 settings are encouraged to apply for the next cohort of NFB Teachers of Tomorrow. This is an immersive, professional development program that connects teachers of blind and low-vision students to the lived experiences of blind people. This program will begin in the fall of 2022 and continue throughout the 2022-2023 school year, culminating in a gathering at our 2023 National Convention. For more information and to apply visit https://nfb.org/programs-services/education/teachers-tomorrow .

Letter to House Appropriations Committee Regarding Older Blind and Randolph-Sheppard Programs:

On Monday, April 25 we sent a letter to the chair and ranking member of the House Appropriations Committee to request an increase in funding for the Independent Living Services for Older Blind Individuals (OIB) program, and an appropriation to commission a study on how to revitalize the Randolph-Sheppard Vending Facility program. Currently the OIB program is woefully underfunded and we have asked to increase the appropriation to that program so that it can help provide the training and tools needed for older blind Americans to live the life they want. The funding for the Randolph-Sheppard study would be a reassignment of funds previously allocated for training and assistance. This money would fund a study to identify deficiencies and areas for improvement that states can use to create new opportunities for blind merchants. This letter and all of our other policy responses can be read on the Policy Statements page of our website.

Legislative Alert for the Medical Device Nonvisual Accessibility Act (H.R. 4853):

Last week we sent out a legislative alert urging Federationists to contact their member of the US House of Representatives and ask them to cosponsor the Medical Device Nonvisual Accessibility Act. The House is now back in session, so we need you to contact your representative and ask them to sign on to this critical piece of accessibility legislation that will give blind Americans the ability to safely and independently care for themselves. It is especially important that you contact your representative if they are a member of the House Energy and Commerce Committee, to where the bill has been assigned. You can contact your member of Congress by calling the Capitol Switchboard at 202-224-3121.

NFB EQ Con Registration Deadline Approaching:

This year an NFB EQ Convention program will be offered at our national convention for all those who participated in NFB EQ programs between 2018 and 2021. Participants will have fun teaching art and engaging others at the exhibit hall while participating in an insulation and roller coaster challenge. Field trips to the Pharmacy and Presbytère museums are also on the agenda and even a STEM reunion event to catch up with old friends! Parents/guardians will also have the opportunity to participate in parent workshops, networking, and the NOPBC annual conference.

The deadline to register for this opportunity is May 1, 2022. We hope you will reach out to past NFB EQ participants in your affiliate to encourage them to take advantage of this opportunity. Please note that this opportunity is only available to students who have participated in the NFB EQ Program since 2018. Invitation emails have been sent to eligible students. For more information, please email stem at nfb.org.

Seeking Teachers for NFB BELL® Academy:

We are seeking teachers with a positive philosophy about blindness to work in several of our in-person NFB BELL Academy sites across the country, and remotely as part of our NFB BELL Academy In-Home Edition.  If you have teachers in your affiliate who might be interested, please have them email bell at nfb.org to get more information about the various opportunities that are available.

Dates to Keep in Mind: (all times eastern)

April 27: Successfully Employed Blind Educator Panel
May 1: Deadline for Distinguished Educator of Blind Students award
May1: Teachers of Tomorrow program application deadline
May 1: Give20 Convention Drawing Opens
May 2: Presidential Release, 8:00 p.m.
May 31: Convention registration closes
July 5-10: National Convention, New Orleans

Chris Walker
President, Winchester Chapter
540.303.0080
chrisvinson1 at gmail.com
www.nfb.org
www.nFBV.org
Find and like us on Facebook National Federation of the Blind of Virginia Winchester Chapter
Follow us on Twitter NFBV Winchester Chapter

Blindness does not hold us back!
Winchester Host Lions member
We serve