[NFBV-Winchester] September Chapter Meeting Minutes

James Shobert jrshober at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 18:41:08 UTC 2022

All,
The September chapter meeting minutes are summarized below. A huge thank you to our Recording Secretary, Jim Green who drafted the meeting minutes. We appreciate you, Jim!

MINUTES OF THE WINCHESTER CHAPTER OF THE N.F.B.

September 17, 2022

The meeting was called to order by President Chris Walker at 10:00 AM.
including members and guests, there were 16 folks present.

Chris Walker led our members in the NFB Pledge.

This month, we skipped the Ice Breaker.  We each gave our names and a short bio.

We decided to have final nominations, followed by election of Chapter
Officers and Board Members.  As reported last month, James Shobert ran
for Vice President, and Wayne Williams as a Board Member. The rest of the present officers remained in their office.  All were elected by acclamation.

Due to a lot of conflicting events, our Chapter meeting next month
will be on October 22, 10:00 AM, via the Chapter conference telephone service. James
Shobert will be filling in for Chris.

Mary Carol Ive, who works for the Clarke County Office of Elections, gave us a presentation of what was going on around this year's election.  She covered a lot of the physical issues concerning accessible voting.  She also passed out her card, and some other information with phone numbers.  She promised to keep in touch with
the Chapter as election day neared.

Janet Lincoln read the minutes of the previous meeting.  They were approved as read.

James Shobert gave us the official report of the Audit Committee.  As we were told last month, all was in order.

Jim Walker read the August Treasurers Report.  A motion was made, seconded and passed to approve the report.

James Walker told us he had welcomed some new Chapter members.  He had given them a brief overview of NFB doctrine, and how our Chapter did
our best to support it.

Since Wayne Williams was unable to attend, James Shobert read both the Communications Committee and the Technology and Resources Committee reports.

We were nearing our time limit for the meeting, so Chris gave the Outreach Committee report.  It consisted of a lot of meetings and live events.  All had long names and venues.  Certain he would fail to get all this information, Jim didn't even try. His assistant Mary started, but gave up.  Anybody who heard something of interest, was
encouraged to call Chris for a follow-up.

Our trip to the NFB Center in Baltimore is on hold until early next year.  We are in a very busy time of the year, and we could not get together with them on a date for a visit.

As we were about to run out of time, Shannon Ganoe showed up to talk to us about Just Serve, a non-profit group.  It seems this is a Nation wide group, operating on a localized level, providing various services to folks in need.  She asked us to check out the group and see if we
wanted to get involved.  Chris asked James Shobert to get the needed information from Shannon, and follow up on this.

We had voted to spend $60 for a hand made quilt for the Action Auction at the State Convention. With the chance to purchase two quilts, we voted to spend another $60, and make two quilt donations.

Lois Everline is keeping track of how Stanley Barnes is getting along. She feels that from what his relatives are reporting, he has had a health downturn.  He is now in a nursing Home in Berkley Springs.  If she hears any news about him, she'll let Chris know.

The meeting adjourned at around 11:30 AM.

Respectively submitted,
Jim Green
Recording Secretary

Respectfully,

James Shobert
Vice President / Co-Chair Communication Committee
National Federation of the Blind, Winchester Chapter
Cell Phone: 989-992-7932
email: Jrshober at gmail.com