[NFBV-Winchester] NFB Winchester Meeting Minutes

James Shobert jrshober at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 18:13:06 UTC 2023

Hello Everyone,

Summarized below are the July Meeting minutes from our NFB Winchester
Chapter meeting. Please review and let me know if you have any questions or
suggested revisions. We will vote on minutes in our next chapter meeting.
Agenda is forthcoming in a future email. Please let me know if you want
anything added. Thank you to Jim Greene for drafting the July meeting
minutes!

MINUTES OF THE WINCHESTER CHAPTER OF THE N.F.B.

July 15, 2023

The meeting was called to order by Vice President James Shobert, at

10:03 AM.  including members and guests, there were twelve folks

present in person and two by phone.  Along the way, two more folks

joined by phone.

Wayne Williams led our members in the NFB Pledge.

With all the weather and high temps this Summer, the Ice-Breaker this

month was to name our favorite flavor of ice cream.

James Shobert said we had been given a contribution of $232 by the

local Lion's Club.  Asked what the background was, Wayne Williams said

a discussion at a meeting about eating marshmallows, turned into a

contest involving fees and betting on contestants.  He won!  He did

the sensible thing and took the money.  He suggested we pass it along

to the NFB's White Cane Fund.  A motion to do just that was made,

seconded and passed.

With our decision that we would no longer read aloud the minutes of

the previous meetings, or the Treasurers Reports, we were asked for

any corrections or concerns about these documents from last month.

hearing none, a motion was made and seconded, and these documents were

approved.

The one problem with this is that this months Treasurers Report was

not prepared yet.  A statement from the bank was late, which made an

accurate report impossible.  With us having no meeting in August,

things will be sorted out before the September meeting.

Chris Walker and David Baggett gave reports and opinions of the recent

National convention.  Chris attended via Zoom, while David attended in

person.  Both had a positive experience and recommended that members

try to attend both State and National conventions whenever they can.

Next years National Convention will be back in Florida.

James Shobert said the Communications Committee had no report this

month, but was entertaining the idea of recording our meetings, to be

posted on the NFB website.  This would take a lot of planning, as a

majority of the meeting would be of little interest to anyone outside

the Chapter itself.  editing would be needed.  Our various committees

will ponder this further.

Asked about her phone calls as Corresponding Secretary, Janet Lincoln

said it went well this month.  She did request that a NFB membership

lis would be made available to whoever needed one.  Mary Green offered

the opinion that only dues paying folks would be in this document.

Chris said he would get this out as soon as he could.

The Technology committee report was given and submitted by Wayne

Williams (see attached).  He said that though he was busy, he would be

happy to help members with any technology problems, and we should not

hesitate to call him..

Daniel Perry gave us a report on an educational program for the Blind,

called Clusiv.  Some courses are available at no cost.  Most of the

more involved courses are paid for by the State's VDVI and are

tailored toward preparing a blind person for a career.  Most of the

focus is on careers that can be performed remotely from one's

residence.  Daniel is taking several courses, and highly recommended

this program.

Chris took a minute to tell us how impressed he was with us, moving

the Chapter forward.  In his opinion, we are headed in the right

direction.

We discussed plans for our Summer Luncheon.  Again this year, we would

hold it at Glory Days, on our meeting day in August, at 11:00 A.M.  As

always, the Chapter would cover the cost of the meal.  Chris said it

was too early to make all the arrangements.  He would need to know how

many folks plan on coming.  He needs this information by early August.

The meeting adjourned at around 11:30 AM.

--
Respectfully,

James Shobert
Vice President | Co-Chair Communication Committee
National Federation of the Blind, Winchester Chapter
Cell Phone: 989-992-7932
email: Jrshober at gmail.com