[nfbwatlk] For those who may not know

Robert Sellers robertsellers500 at comcast.net
Wed Oct 29 08:40:29 UTC 2008

Hi Listers,

This is to inform members of this list serve and those who will be attending
the 2008 NFBW convention. That, at this convention,  I’m a candidate for the
office of President for the National Federation of the Blind of Washington.

Mike is aware of it, I called Mike several weeks ago and informed of my
intentions. I informed him I did not think it was proper  to broadside him
and he appreciated the information.

It is not an idle fantasy of mine just to be President. During the National
convention, some members, myself included,  of the NFBW got into a
discussion  concerning what has and has not been happening in our state
affiliate.   For example, a few years ago our affiliate had twenty to thirty
thousand dollars in the treasury, since that time the money has been
dwindling away and yet no serious discussions has occurred on major fund
rasing. The same could be said on aspects concerning increasing
membershipand other aspects regarding the organization.  As the discussion
continued, the obvious question came up; “Who is available and willing to
run for President.”. I guess the answer to that question is in this post.
Simply put, it is my pledge, that under my leadership, I will put forth the
effort and energy, that it takes to have a strong affiliate. I can’t do all
the work myself,  it will take an involved Board of Directors and  an active
membership.

A few words about accomplishments here in Clark County under my leadership.
A few years ago the Clark County Chapter of the NFBW got involved with the
Washington State School for the Blind. We assisted in the school
establishing an internet radio station, a store, which involves student
operation,  that sells products for the blind and a book club for the
students. Don Mitchel deserves much of the credit for the status of the book
club. Because of his faithfulness,  diligence and efforts in , the book club
will be performing the play “Christmas Carol” over the internet radio. The
kids will be reading  their parts in Braille!!! Also, our membership has
grown about 80 percent this past year.

This involvement with WSSB has changed some attitudes, at the school,  about
the NFB. As it was quoted to me “You know, the NFB   isn’t the devils I’ve
heard people talk about.”.

 As President of the NFBW, in brief, these are the objectives that I want to
bring to the NFBW Board for us  to work towards.

1. To have the Board of Directors develop a long range strategy, goals and
objectives for the organization.

2.  To  engage in fund raising projects that will increase revenue in the
State’s treasury and assist  with local chapters in fund raising.

3.   To increase membership in current chapters and to pursue creating new
local chapters.

4.   To reach out to the blind youth and increase the involvement of the
younger blind in the state affiliate.

 5.  To create a communication tool, possibly a newsletter.

I’m sure there are other objectives that the Board and the members may want
to be considered. I’m open to any suggestions that can move our affiliate
forward.

I would sincerely appreciate your support and vote. If you have any
questions or need clarification on this post, you are welcome to contact me.
My phone contacts are:

HM: 360.896.5249

Cell: 360.798.6498

Respectfully,

Robert Sellers, President

Clark county Chapter

National Federation of the Blind of Washington

Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.
Checked by AVG.
2:36 PM